LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Bharat Sharma (engineer)     18 May 2013

Maintenance case, passport as a proof of employment

Dear Members, My wife has filed for Maintenance under DV case. I work in merchant navy as a senior engineer. and she has the only proof of my passport copy. Is it possible for her to find out my Travel details or my arrival & departure from the country, from Ministry of External Affairs or Immigration Department thru RIGHT TO INFORMATION (RTI). Can the Immigration Stamps on my passport becomes the proof that I am working or employed & earning good salary. She has demanded 1lakh per month from me as her maintenance. Kindly advise how can I save my money from her.

Learning

8 Replies

(Guest)

I don`t think the personal travel plans of anyone can be obtained under Right to Information Act(RTI).

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     18 May 2013

She can gather information through RTI from your navy/merchant department also. Passport only is not a criteria to gather information about your income details etc.

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     18 May 2013

1. More than Passport you have to worry on her side's persuasive pleadings which gets hands down allowed in a ex part DV interim case in reference to context.

2. All that her side has to state persuasively (BTW hiiring a junior level fresher advocate); My Ladyship; Husband has committed certain dream violence upon me and thrown me out of his big house and is luxuriously working in merchant Navy ship where the starting salary varies between Rs 50,000 to Rs 75,000 a month in Indian companies, whereas my husband is working for some of the best world companies on contract basis and it is no rocket science as even seen by this Hon'ble Court in past few cases of similar employed husbands, that foreign companies pay higher and a starting salary of $ 2,500 to $ 4,500 a month can be expected. There are many more perks and benefits which my husband being working in a foreign merchant navy ship enjoys such as; free food, accommodation, paid leave, two-way free passage, bonus, holiday travel and other annual benefits. Now since all his personal liabilities towards his own maintenance is well taken care of it can also be reasonably said that he has no tax liabilities under Vienna Convention as employees of merchant navy are exempted from even paying tax being their salary paid at sea and only liability is towards my unfortunate client who is thrown out from her matrimonial home - kindly look at my client once!

3. Can you rebut to me how difficult is above persuasive pleading by a fresh LLB passed member of the Bar to adduce before Bench and get ex part interim maintenance for his client i.e. for your metro wife. Now worry more about that then Passport, which is to say being in merchant navy it is obvious you will not come on each and every date of dream violence case hearings being at sea at some remote strait that is why I used in para 1 ex part fate of such DV cases. Now have a laugh feeling how are such low skilled based (ops straight forward persuasive pleadings) sounds in a DV Court against you a merchant navy employee J

Bottom line advice; take sabbatical from your high seas job and get yourself moored for the time being in Indian soils – meet up with a seasoned advocate in his Chamber found via reference – opt either to contest case or plan on mutual consent and then re-join some company and richen your remaining youthful years instead of being burdened with persuasive ex part judgment which is obvious to come which in-turn ends up in higher alimony payment as seen in cases of pilots – merchant navy – drillers (Cairn – Vedanta employee husbands) etc. at the end of the pathetic family law trial where the case is that of un-employed housewife metro wife.

ajay sethi (lawyer)     18 May 2013

1) your wife has demanded 1 lakh as maintenance . you have not mentioned whether your wife is working or not .

2) what is your salary . on receipt of summons engage a lawyer . file detailed reply to her allegations made in DV complaint .

3) Dv cases are reffered to for counselling to enable parties to arrive at an amicable settlment .

4) supression of your income wont help . generally in DV cases ladies exaggerate the income of the husband to get a good maintenance order .

5)try to settle the DV complaint

@Tajobsindia

Sir,

I have not been working & not going to ship from last 1 year so there is no earning now. from last 6 months I am passing through 498A case mediation, which has failed,  then I am on Interim bail & now waiting for regular bail.

I have already hired a lawyer and he can handle or delay the case if I am abroad for atleast 5-6 months. Now she has to find out when I am going to the ship, but still I am home & no job.

If I want to join back to ship for little time like 3-4 months, I can easily change the company so that she doesn't have any proof where I am working.

My questions are:

1) Does she needs to prove domestic voilance happened on her before getting the maintenance.

2) She has filed many dirty allegations under Sec-498A, 3/4, 406, 328-Attempt to murder, 376/511---attempt to rape.  from which Sec-328 & 376/511 has been removed in Police inquiry & have been removed in Final Report in the Court.

DOES IT PROVE SHE IS DOING CRUELTY UPON CHARGING US ON FALSE ALLEGATIONS..............Will it be helpful in settling the Maintenance to her.

3) How much maintenance is provided to her, if I can show I am not working as I am facing all the criminal cases & I have to attend court cases.

@ Mr. Ajay Sethi,

Sir,

I was earning very well but because of this family problem and lots of cases under DV act & Dowry Case I am at home & cannot go abroad for my work. also I am still on intrim bail waiting for the regular bail & may get in 10-15 days.

My wife is earning since she left her matrimonial home, doing labour job as a helper in a garments company, earning 5000-6000rs per month..........

Also She has filed many dirty allegations under Sec-498A, 3/4, 406, 328-Attempt to murder, 376/511---attempt to rape.  from which Sec-328 & 376/511 has been removed in Police inquiry & have been removed in Final Report in the Court. Chargesheet is yet to come in court.

DOES IT PROVE SHE IS DOING CRUELTY UPON CHARGING US ON FALSE ALLEGATIONS..............Will it be helpful in settling the Maintenance to her.

If the case goes for the councelling then we can try to settel the case but she is demanding a huge amount, during 498A case mediation she demanded a seperate FLAT in her parents city & then also she was not ready for divorce even after making such filthy allegations.

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     19 May 2013

Originally posted by : Bharat Sharma

XXX  

1) Does she needs to prove domestic voilance happened on her before getting the maintenance.
Take: Yes she has to prime facie prove allegations to seek maintenance under DV Act .

2) XXX
Take: Use lower caps while askign questions. Noted various Sections of law under which your are charged and droping of few Sections too. Hon'ble Apex Court has analysed in many cases the patter in reference to charges various Sections and noted droping of section of Code as 'cruelty' to husband. Since you say you have advocate ask him to dig such Judgment of Apex Court and r/w pursuasive pleadings proceed further establishing that it is infact 'cruelties' to husband which has happened and not other way round as alleged by complainant spouse !.

3) How much maintenance is provided to her, if I can show I am not working as I am facing all the criminal cases & I have to attend court cases.
Take: A un-employed husband has not to pay any maintenance but this comes with certain bar r/w State HC's references in similar decided cases where HC has not granted maintenance in reference cases to wife and dependent upon State where maintenance case is filed one party can adduce so. The bar are; the said job is terminated and termination letter is annexed with affidavit with witness (name of HR Dept.) to call as per Rules to box and/or if husband is showing himself to be student and educational expenses are shown to be borne by father - relative of husband and/or husband used to work overseas and to services family law charges came back home and thus is with no job provided he shows enrolment into local Employment Exchange and few interview rejection letter colly. annexed by way of affidavit and/or he volunteers by way of filing a misl. Application for call for Court commissioner appointment to find out his ‘income’ and submit by way of sealed report to the Court and/or straight forward expansive persuasive pleading of your statement under this question r/w lady luck favoring you are some of the ways to negative maintenance in reference to context.

ajay sethi (lawyer)     19 May 2013

1)dont bow down to her demands . fight case on merits . the demands made by your wife are exhorbitant .

2)if you are unemployed the question of payment of maintenance of rs 1lakh a month does not arise . 

3) draw attention of the court to the fact that your wife is presently working and earning Rs 6000 a month .

4) case of cruelty is made out against your wife

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register