Negotiable Instruments: Exhaustive Coverage by Adv Roma Bhagat. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sri (NA)     22 May 2014

Lokadalath case from reliance


I received an email from Reliance last month saying that i owe them approx. Rs. 3000 for the service i was using in 2010.

When asked for the bill, they sent me the bill but i had already paid the bill but i don't have the receipt as its over 3 years now. Then, i tried to pay the bill online on the website suggested by them but i am unable to do so as their website is not recognising my subscriber no.. So, i wrote them back and they pretty much forwarded me the same email saying i should try paying online or ask my friends/family to do so.

Then, i wrote them an email saying that friends and family is not an option for me but i can pay the bill online if their technical department fixes the glitch (i sent them a print screen of their page where i was having issues) or i can pay it in person when i visit india this year end. 

Then, i get an email from their billing department that they have filed a pre-litigation case in bangalore lokadalath against me and i need to be present there on the given date. With such short notice and with reliance dropping the ball by taking 3&1/2 years to get to me for the bill, i do not have time to leave everything here and go to india just for that case and for my family or friend thats not an option either.

Its not that i am not ready to pay the amount. I am agreeing to pay the amount right now if their website allows me to do so but its having issues. And i cannot make payment in person as i do not live in india anymore.

So, my question is that even though i am agreeing to pay the bill, which i cant pay right now because of their website issue and me not being in india to make in person payment, would i land in legal issues for this.

All i am asking from them is to either fix their website glitch and let me make the payment right now or wait till i am there in india this year end and then i will make the payment.



 3 Replies

Sri (NA)     22 May 2014

Oh also, even though i do not agree with the bill, i am ready to make the payment because i really do not want any such issues right now and just want to make the payment and move on with my life as its causing me a lot of tension and pain.

AAK (Advocate)     22 May 2014

At the out set let me assure you, this case is not big hurdle for you in any away. Practically speaking for them there is long process for recovery of this amount and you have option to pay it even in the last minute when they come to you for recovery.

The best option is, you just send the amount through DD or Cheque by enclosing all the correspondence and send it trough Registered Post.  Even then if the harassment continues send legal notice through lawyer and ask for compensation.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     23 May 2014

First thing, the demand is time barred and was not maintainable in law but without giving a thought over it you have given a life to it by accepting the payment option and you have even confirmed the same through your mail, that becomes the claim to get back the valid status (renewed).  Now the option before you is that either you send the cheque to the company with proper acknowledgment card or wait until you return to India and make the payment in person along with the penalties, consult a lawyer in your locality for further advise.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register