Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

live in relation with friend

Page no : 2

aamele law (student)     13 March 2009

Sir, 

I have doubts about my relationship after reading this thread. I am not yet divorced since my wife doesnot want to live with me and says she will harass max and wont give divorce. She refuses to live with me or give divorce. She has filed 498a and DP against me. Thank god she didnot file DV yet. 125 also over. Now after 6 months seeng no future with her I have started another relationship and live-in with another girl. She knows about my cases and everything. How do I defend myself ?Can I get hit by my former wife ? with any other cases if she comes to know. I have made it clear not to hide my relationship with my present girlfriend. Will it be just ok if my present wife just says she is my soulmate ? We are both hindus. 

surya (business)     23 March 2009

Hi Law gurus,

Can anyone post any comment on this please.

i m married and have the 2 kids.i have another relation ship with my GF since 2 yrs.she is unmarried.From my family we dont have any issues to stay with her longterm.Even she is ready to come out with her family.Her family members are not accepting.

As per Hindhu i cant marry 2 wifes.

Is there any way 2 stay together for life long?

How do i defend my self?

i heard recently supreme court has given judjement.Can live together.

please advice.your suggestion will be highly appreciable.

Swami Sadashiva Brahmendra Sar (Nil)     23 March 2009

mr. surya ! you will be comiting no offence. but you will be in trouble when your wife goes to law on the ground of cruelty and s*xual relation with another woman. further , there will be legal controvercies with regard to inheritance rights of your 2nd partener and her children. 

thus to be fair, you should not continue this relationship.

SANJAY DIXIT (Advocate)     23 March 2009

I think there will be no harm for her but you may suffer a great loss by the charge of adultery.

TUSHAR SUMAN THAKER (ADVOCATE)     24 March 2009

Interesting viewpoints have emerged from the above discussion.

However to put things in perspective, the decisions of courts where they seem to give legal sanction and recognition to long term live in relationships need to be understood clearly.

The idea behind the above rulings is that in a country like ours, where a vast number of marriages are not registered, courts tend to legitimize long term live in relationships by giving the benefit of doubt and treating such relationships as marriages for purposes of inheritance, maintenance etc, on the priciple that the intentions of parties are best indicated by their behavior.

In a case where both parties are unmarried and have a live in relationship, legally they don't have to worry much, the moral issues are another matter.

However where one party is married it may create complications, specially if the spouce of such party decides to teach her/him a lesson. It is well settled that in such cases, only an interested or affected party can approach the court. Therefore even if a married person has a live in relationship or even illegally marries another while still married to his/her spouce, he/she is safe if the affected parties decide not to take any action - A La the marriage between Dharmendra and Hema Malini.

But, if the spouce or children of one of the parties in a live in relationship decides to take action, they can vey well create a lot of legal hassles. I see that some comments have come in stating that living together as friends is not a crime unless physical relationship can be proved. I beg to differ. It is well established that adultery cannot be proved by eye witnesses, as everything happens behind closed doors, To prove adultery, it is sufficient to prove inclination to have physical relationship with a person of opposite gender and the opportunity to do so. Therefore where two persons not related to each other are staying together in the same house for a length of time, nothing further need be proved as inclination as well as opportunity is established. The courts wiould not accept that such persons staying together were doing so to meditate together at night! I also wish to clarify here that the inheritence laws for children of live in relationships are one thing, but criminal law does not cease to operate, or absolve any party of penal action under criminal justice, even though the children of such relationships may have claims for inheritence since they are not the ones who are responsible for the state of affairs.

So my advise to all adventurous live in couples or couples contemplating such relationships would be to take heed, and if married, to complete the proceedings for divorce asap. Why live in fear or tension ? Many times that which is legal is not moral, but here both seem to converge.

tsthaker@rediffmail.com

TUSHAR SUMAN THAKER (ADVOCATE)     24 March 2009

Interesting viewpoints have emerged from the above discussion.

However to put things in perspective, the decisions of courts where they seem to give legal sanction and recognition to long term live in relationships need to be understood clearly.

The idea behind the above rulings is that in a country like ours, where a vast number of marriages are not registered, courts tend to legitimize long term live in relationships by giving the benefit of doubt and treating such relationships as marriages for purposes of inheritance, maintenance etc, on the priciple that the intentions of parties are best indicated by their behavior.

In a case where both parties are unmarried and have a live in relationship, legally they don't have to worry much, the moral issues are another matter.

However where one party is married it may create complications, specially if the spouce of such party decides to teach her/him a lesson. It is well settled that in such cases, only an interested or affected party can approach the court. Therefore even if a married person has a live in relationship or even illegally marries another while still married to his/her spouce, he/she is safe if the affected parties decide not to take any action - A La the marriage between Dharmendra and Hema Malini.

But, if the spouce or children of one of the parties in a live in relationship decides to take action, they can vey well create a lot of legal hassles. I see that some comments have come in stating that living together as friends is not a crime unless physical relationship can be proved. I beg to differ. It is well established that adultery cannot be proved by eye witnesses, as everything happens behind closed doors, To prove adultery, it is sufficient to prove inclination to have physical relationship with a person of opposite gender and the opportunity to do so. Therefore where two persons not related to each other are staying together in the same house for a length of time, nothing further need be proved as inclination as well as opportunity is established. The courts wiould not accept that such persons staying together were doing so to meditate together at night! I also wish to clarify here that the inheritence laws for children of live in relationships are one thing, but criminal law does not cease to operate, or absolve any party of penal action under criminal justice, even though the children of such relationships may have claims for inheritence since they are not the ones who are responsible for the state of affairs.

So my advise to all adventurous live in couples or couples contemplating such relationships would be to take heed, and if married, to complete the proceedings for divorce asap. Why live in fear or tension ? Many times that which is legal is not moral, but here both seem to converge.

tsthaker@rediffmail.com

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register