Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Shefali (Freelance)     11 January 2014

Is forceful eviction of tenant legal?

Dear Experts,

I have been staying in a house pretty peacefully for close to 7 years in Bangalore, the landlord residing in the same building. Last month suddenly he asked for a Rs 2000 increase on the actual increased rent amount(as per 5% increment), but with negotiations I was able to bring it down. Since that day, he has been acting bitter, doesn't take up repair work of the room seriously. Yesterday, he crossed all limits when he asked me to vacate in one month since he realised he doesn't like my friends(male) visiting me. He screamed at me at 11pm in the most demeaning manner, trying to malign my character.

Can he ask me to vacate for reasons as flimsy as this? Am I obliged to leave in a month? Can I take any legal action to stop him from doing that? Please note, this condition of his isn't mentioned anywhere in the rent agreement nor did he ever raise this topic when I took the room on rent. Also I should mention this that the agreement is dated back to March 2007.

Kindly advice.

Regards

Shefali

Learning

3 Replies

Rajendra (GH)     12 January 2014

To my knowledge regardless of date much depends upon how the rent agreement was worded. Normally, the owner assumes  a right to ask the tenant to vacate in a given period  without furnishing any reason.

ajith kumar (ADVOCATE)     15 April 2014

there is no rule that prohibits your friends from visiting your residence.  if the landlord refuses to mandatory repairs to the residence leased, the tenant can repair and adjust the amount in rental payment. landlord can't force the tenant to vacate immediatly, 

ajith kumar (ADVOCATE)     15 April 2014

there is no rule that prohibits your friends from visiting your residence.  if the landlord refuses to mandatory repairs to the residence leased, the tenant can repair and adjust the amount in rental payment. landlord can't force the tenant to vacate immediatly.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register