LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Lohith Narayana (Banker)     12 October 2011

Ipc 279,337 and 187 of imv act

I was driving my car on a highway. A small girl rushed into the road while trying to cross it. My car hit the girl because of which she has fracture in her leg (requires operation) and bruises in her hand. The girl was crossing from left to right side of the road, and the car hit the girl on extreme right side of the road, trying to avoid her I had to move to left.  I slowed down the car but seeing villagers rush towards me, I drove to the nearest police station. 

The compliant by girl's father mentions that I was driving rash and negligent. They have mentioned my name also in the complaint. The FIR mentions that I have been booked under Sec 279, 337 of IPC 1860 and R/W 187 of IMV Act.

After getting the IMV Certificate for vehicle and Bond/Surety for me, they have released me and the car.

My Car has valid comprehensive insurance and all necessary documents.

I saw through the net that punisments for those booked under above sections are punishable with fine or imprisonment or both.

Are there any chances of me being punished with imprisonment? 

Will these cases against me be problem for my job (i am an asst. manager at govt. of india owned bank)? 

Can I go outside India until this cases are pending? Should I seek permission from court or police?

If the case is over only with a fine, will all charges against me cleared after paying the fine?


I have paid the girl some amount for her immediate medical expenses, though she is entitled for a claim of insurance?


Please help me.


 6 Replies

Nadeem Qureshi (Advocate/     13 October 2011

Dear Lohith

Dont worry about this case

the case u/s 279, 337 is bailable and 337 is compoundable offance, if you can not prove that you were not drive rushly then you can compromise the matter with the compliinant

if your car/ vehicle is insured then no need to worry the insurance company is liable to pay the amount.

1 Like

laxminarayana (Advocate)     13 October 2011

i agree with Nadeem

1 Like

kvss.prabhakar rao (Advocate )     14 October 2011

You can defend the samer in trial crossing of road by victem accident took place is no neglegence. Dont worry all the section are minor in nature and it can be compundable one.

Atul D Suryavanshi (Attorney - JC Law Firm)     15 October 2011

Dont worry Mr. Narayan,

All the section are bailable and you can defend the case. If you are willing to pay compensation to the injusred then Court can pass an order to Compound the case and release you same day. 

Once more thing... it'll not have any adverse effect on your job. so dont take tension ....

But next time be careful on Roads....

Atul Suryavanshi


  JC Law Firm


Mobile - 09923552956


Lohith Narayana (Banker)     01 April 2012

Dear All,

Thanks for your guidance.

I appeared before the court and the Judge there read out the charges against me. It was mentioned there that I was involved in hit and run and not reporting to Police station etc. (Even though I myself had reported to Police Station. I had hired the services of local lawyer of Hosadurga Court, Hosadurga (Remote Taluk of Karnataka, where the accident had happened)and  pleaded guilty before the judge, wh fined Rs 2100/- and compounded the charges.

But Police Sub Inspector called me saying that I have to attend a seperate case involving insurance matters. Is it necessary that I have to attend the court for this case too. Can I write a letter to the Judge? Or hire a lawyer to represent me in the case.

Will this case be considered during back ground verification of prospective employers? If so, what can be my defense to them?

ramesh (civil engineering)     05 January 2013

hello sir

the police told to us your given number is wrong

they asking series vehicle no we have not series of this vehicle

what can i do?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register