LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

AV (Graduate)     07 June 2024

Inheritance ( streedana ) query

Govt assigned land in name of my mothers grandmother and her mother in Andhra around 50 yrs back . Both my mothers grandmother and her mother died long back . 
now my mother and her brother (my uncle) are alive . 
we decided to sell the property and take half shares (my mother and my uncle ) .as per GO we can sell . 

Religion - my grandmother is a converted Christian . 

There is no will or gift deed

Actually both should take half shares each . As my mothers mother did not write any will . 
but only thing is two different lawyers telling to my mother that your mothers property you alone (not my uncle ) will inherit as streedhana in favour of my mother . 

But I don't think it is correct right because my mothers mother did not make any will . 
is streedana concept still valid in today's time or is it only applicable in case of single daughter and no other sibling . 

can you pls clarify ? 

thank you 


 5 Replies

Ramanathan G (Independent practice)     07 June 2024

Please enclose the Personal law governing succession rights. Any advise you will get without reading that should not be relied.

AV (Graduate)     07 June 2024

Sir As stated above My great grandmother that is my mothers grandmother is a converted Christian , they converted from Reddys to Christian's . So basically Christian's 

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     07 June 2024

If your mother's grandmother is reported to have died intestate then the property left behind by her shall on her own legal heirs.

If your mother and her brother falls under the descendants or subsequent legal heirs, both will be entitled for respective share accordingly.

Don't be confused about non existent legal term called stridhan.

It is not applicable here.

kavksatyanarayana (subregistrar/supdt.(retired))     08 June 2024

Firstly it is an assigned land given to your grandmother.  So if any legal heir wants to inherit it, obtain permission from the District Collector otherwise, it leads to legal problems.

Dr. J C Vashista (Advocate )     09 June 2024

1. The property is an allotted property which do not constitute part of stridhan.

2, All LRs of your grandmother shall have their share in terms of Indian Succession Act, 1925

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register