LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Devi Amma (owner)     06 May 2018

Informing large transactions to income tax department

I am a small-time assessee at the low end (no tax most years, one or two thousands some years). This financial year I am selling some family properties and the credits in my bank account will be quite large by my standard (Rs 2 crore total). I will report capital gains in my IT Returns before July 2019. Is it a good idea to also inform, to IT department and to my bank, each time a credit is received, explaining the source of funds? If so, how to do it? Should I send letters to the Assessing Officer and also to bank manager?

Learning

3 Replies

R.Ramachandran (Advocate)     06 May 2018

Nothing of that sort is required. It is enough if you properly account for the income (including capital gain if any) in the income tax returns. Needless to say, you should keep proper documentary proof with you for all the sources of such incomes. There are ways in which you can save capital gains tax.  For this you have to get in touch with a Chartered Accountant in your area immediately after you sell the property. This is because you have to take some steps whenever there is capital gain within 6 months of the sale.  So, while you can file the return for financial year 2018-19 in July 2019, still some more action may be needed as and when you sell the property.  Therefore, it is advisable to get in touch with a Chartered Accountant.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     06 May 2018

If the credits in bank a/c as per sale consideration narration in sale deed, IT shall suffice..

You may inquire about proof of source of funds of buyer as well…

You may keep copies of instruments of transaction and bank pass book ready to reply if any query arises..

Kumar Doab (FIN)     06 May 2018

You may preferably in advance ( not later) discuss with  your own very able senior LOCAL counsel of unshakable repute and integrity specializing in revenue/civil matters and CA…..having successful track record ….. and well versed with year wise and latest notifications and SoP…. and worth his/her salt …and discuss in person and even with seasoned PIP and proceed in best of your interest.. 

You may also post at LCI group website: CAClubindia

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register