LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Adv. Amita A. Virkar (Advocate)     25 December 2009

Hw to obtain duplicate marriage certificate


what is the procedureand for obtaining the duplicate marriage certificate in mumbai? original marriage certificate is misplaced so affidavit is required or not? even date of registration and registration no. is also not known..whether i need to undergo search process?

Marriage was solemnised in mumbai (dadar)under Hindu marriage act.

hw much time it will tk? pls let me know...


 12 Replies

Adv. Amita A. Virkar (Advocate)     25 December 2009

pls let me know the documents require for the same...

Adv Mathew (Legal Advice)     26 December 2009

You won't get Duplicate Marriage Certificate but will be able to get certified copy of the copy of the original which is in the record of the Marriage officer/registrar. Now you may call it duplicate or not it hardly matters but its validity for any & all purpose is same as the original certificate. The words duplicate may not appear on the top of the marriage certificate now issued to you but it will be confirmed & certified as true copy of the original so go & get it & use it for any purpose you want.

Poonam Upadhyay pathak (Advocate)     26 December 2009

Agree with Mathew.

Anjali (IT)     26 December 2009

better way is go to mumbai your jurisdiction registrar office...contact any staff inside who will help you to get the certified copy of the marriage certificate..since you don't know the date , it will be bit more difficult for the staff to search..you might need at least need to know the name of the bride , bridegroom , caste , religion , year of marriage etc...you might end of paying at a good 4 digit amount before getting the ceritified copy.. 

Kamlesh soni (advocate)     27 December 2009

 Agree with Mathew.

sunil pagare (lawyer)     27 December 2009

Agree with mathew, original record is kept with Marriage office & u will get certified copy paying legal requisite fees to that office.

Nali Seshu Kumar (SOCIAL WORKER)     27 December 2009

there is procedure for obtain duplicate but the certified copy of the lost document clealy shows the status of marriage special registrar marriage act helps to found the number on process to receive search fees there after gave a complaint to the local police station which the document is misplaced from your custody the police after verification issued a certificate stating that the original was not traced the complaint ,certified copy ,paper publication to the public for a request to handover these 3 documants after the police issued not tracable there after the concerned officer issued certificate there is an endorsement on the foot of it as "DUPLICATE".

DR.SANAT KUMAR DASH (Eye Specialist)     09 January 2010





Anirudh   15 December 2015

Mr. Naiju Matthew I asked for a copy of my marriage certificate from my Sub Registrars office in Jodhpur and they said there is no procedure for obtaining it. It is only issued once. If I want a another one I will have to sign again and submit all the documents that I submitted while registering including witnesses. 

Is there some act, legal document, circular or goverment website that I can quote so that they may agree for issuing of a copy

Anirudh   15 December 2015

CLEAR123   28 April 2016

This procedure is for Khar Road West Marriage Regestrar. Remember Bandra Counter has been transferred to Khar and is closed since 2013. Get a Rs 5 Court stamp from Bandra Court or other. Got to Khar Road West Marriage Bureau. Ask for Marathi printed Application, fill in Yourname , Bride + Groom + Date of Marriage. Pay Rs 25 for each xerox copy you need. You will not get original, just a copy with seal / stamp of Registrar. Collect it within a week.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register