LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

dpandit2011 (AM)     13 July 2011

HRA PG Accommodation

I need a clarification regarding PG accommodation.

I am living as a Paying guest in Mumbai from February.  My house owner is extracting a lot of money from me, above the monthly rent of 25k that I pay her.  SHe took a written agreement from me as regards the monthly payment, but wont give me a copy of it now.  Further, she does not declare this income in her tax returns and therefore refuses to provide me with rent receipts for me to claim HRA.  What is the solution to this? CAn i file an affidavit on non-judicial stam paper in lieu of rent receipts? I dont care if the department chases her later, but I need my HRA! Please help.

Learning

4 Replies

Sajeev Menon (Legal Consultant Dubai 00971 508836442)     13 July 2011

Hi,

The above narraged means that your house owner doesnt give you the receipt of the rent whcih you are paying and without the signed receipt you wont get the HRA reimbursed. You didnt mentioned that how long you have been staying at there as PG and how you are paying the rent ie by cheque or by cash. If you have been paying the rent by cheque via bank ther is no need for you to get the receipt from the house owner's side to claim HRA. You can sumbit the bank statement to claim the HRA as well if you wish to give a little trouble to your house owner, you can forward the same to the income tax department while filing your income tax returns with a covering letter to the commissioner.

dpandit2011 (AM)     13 July 2011

Hi, Thanks for your reply. I am actually paying by cash, coz she takes 10k in the middle of the month and rest 10k at the end. Plus, she takes extra 5k for food.  She refuses to give anything in writing.  She does not declare this income.  SO in this case, what option do I have?

Sajeev Menon (Legal Consultant Dubai 00971 508836442)     13 July 2011

you can make use of the bank statement as last resourt to show that the amount you have withdrawn from the bank is for the same purpose since you dont have any other records of communication or any other document.

V. VASUDEVAN (LEGAL COUNSEL)     16 July 2011

This is not possible. Either one should have a legitimate in transaction for claiming tax rebate or choose to forego the rebate. It would be advisable to get into a formal arrangement with the present PG source or look for an alternative source.

vasudevan

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register