LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

kannan (other)     12 December 2012

How to obtain copy of the gazette for my name change

Dear Experts,

I am Kannan, and my birth name(name in birth certificate) is Singaram. My parents gave the name Kannan to the school records. In my school they saw my birth certificate and asked for a name change document. My father applied for a change of name in Tamilnadu Government press and obtained the copies of Gazette. From then on through out my entire life till this day I was using the name Kannan which means in all my other documents (SSLC, HSC and College Mark sheets, TC, Driving License, Ration Card). Now I need to apply for a passport and there arises a name conflict between birth certificate and other documents.

The problem is the copies of gazette which I had are lost and I dont remember the date or any number related to this document.

1. Is there any chance for me to get new copies of the Gazette?

2. Is it legal to again apply for a name change?

3. If legal then how should I apply for it. Is it with my old name(Singaram) to new name (Kannan)? or ? 

4. What should be the supporting documents for my name change?

Please advice me on this and let me know about the legal aspects I should consider. Thanks for your valuable time.

note: about obtaining new copies of Gazette in tamilnadu, I read from the as follows. I guess the Gazette would have been applied for me around the year 1999 - 2000. So its above one year to get new copy, so is it now not possible to get a copy at all?

3. How to obtain copies of the Gazette : The person who remits the correct amount as specified in the format will be supplied to his address with five copies of the part of the Gazette wherein the change name has been published. For obtaining further copies, the Assistant Director, Publication Depot, Chennai-2 may be contacted.

Note: Gazettes are retained for a period of one year only for sales. Hence, people are advised to get the required number of copies as soon as they are published.


 16 Replies

M V Gupta (Advocate)     12 December 2012

I do not think it would be possible for u to get copies of the old gazette notifications as they are not preserved beyond one year in Tamilnadu. One possible way of getting over the problem, subject to the passport authorities accepting it, is to produce afffidavit from your father stating that he had duly got your notified in the Sate Gazette and got it changed to Kannan in the School records. You may also produce a certificate from the School that your name has been recorded as Kannan after due notification in the State GAzette. Pl check if the School has the old records. If these are not acceptable to the Passport authorities, you may consider applying for the passport in the name of  Sigaram alias Kannan. this in my view shpould solve the probklem.

1 Like

myneniram (HR)     12 December 2012

Dear Experts,

I'm here to change my name. my old name is dasaradha Ram. so now i want change it as Ram. in ssc,inter, degree & pg also the old is there in my cirtificates. so pls let me know how to change my name dasaradha Ram as Ram. pls help me out to change.

1 Like

Adv k . mahesh (advocate)     17 December 2012

why cannot you try in the school records you said that you have submitted documents for name change in the school anlayze what documents you have submitted in the school and try to verify wheater you have submitted if not 

try as mr.m.v.gupta has said 

1 Like

kannan (other)     17 December 2012

Thanks for your time and reply Mr. M.V.Gupta and Mr. K.Mahesh. I will check with my school for the documents. But it is a very small school and I dont think they would properly archive the documents of passed out students. Will having my name in passport as Singaram alias Kannan and having Kannan in other documents cause any legal problems or will they affect Visa processing? Please let me know more about getting "afffidavit from my father" about this name change.


Thanks again for your prompt replies and valued time. :)

kannan (other)     17 December 2012

Hi Experts,

Please also advice can RTI be used to get the name change information from the Tamilnadu Government Press.

Thanks in advance.,

M V Gupta (Advocate)     18 December 2012

Try RTI. Giving your alias name should not affect. If any query is raised you can prove the two names with the support of the dpocuments.

pp (aaa)     29 July 2013

hi all lawyers, i had changed my name in 2004 n now have lost the documents and need them for my passport. i have a affidavit wth the gazette number on it. from where can i get a copy in mumbai?? as i lost my father i can even have a letter of name change frm him.. kindly help.

Subit Abraham (none)     31 August 2013

dear lawyers ,

                        I am Subit  , I have to change my father's name in my passport , it was wrongly written , I have to correct it , I went to the passport office in bhopal and they said to fill the gazette notification form , is it necessary , the passport was issued in 2010, is here any other process for to correct my father's name in my passport .

Thanks in advance

Priya Sukumaran (Consultant)     20 September 2013

dont do all this.give two paper ad and a notary..that is enough for passport..

Priya Sukumaran (Consultant)     20 September 2013

you can do it be visiting the gazette office and giving your tc and your address proof and two photos.

alpesh patel (finance officer)     24 September 2013

sir my name is patel pinchuben kaushikbhai. i have cdompleted the process of gazzat. but still not received the coppy of gazette so please do for further procees. please urgently

Priya Sukumaran (Consultant)     24 September 2013

Which gazette office?

Kavin @ Vinodkumar (Proprietor)     12 March 2014

Contact Mr.Kavin @ 9500572244 / 9842154381. Service provider for Name Change In TN Gazette / Religion Change in TN Gazette. Service will provided all major Cities in TN Coimbatore, Madurai, Nammakkal, Salem, Erode, Hosur, Coonoor, Karur, Theni, Tiruppur, Trichy, dindiugal and Dharmapuri.

Mayank Sinha (S/W Developer)     11 April 2014

can someone share or send the scan copy (pdf) or image file of changed name in gazette.



Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Recent Topics

View More

Related Threads