I am seeking guidance regarding an issue concerning a well-known law college, whose name I do not wish to disclose publicly.
The college was reportedly barred/not included by the Bar Council of India during the first round of admissions, but was subsequently permitted to participate in the admission process. The college is now stating that attendance is compulsory and that strict action may be taken for shortage of attendance.
My questions are:
- Can attendance shortage of an LLB student be condoned or waived on genuine medical grounds? If yes, what is the applicable procedure under BCI/university rules?
- If proxy attendance is being given to some students, and teachers or college staff are knowingly allowing it, can strict disciplinary or regulatory action be taken against both the students and the teachers/staff if it is established?
- If attendance rules are being strictly enforced against some students while proxy attendance or concessions are allegedly being allowed for others, can a student raise this issue before the university or BCI? What would be the appropriate procedure?
- What is the process for transferring from one law college to another during an LLB course? In particular, is transfer possible from an aided college to a non-aided college, or between two colleges affiliated to the same university? What if the colleges are affiliated to different universities, and what approvals/NOC are generally required?
I am not asking for the name of the college to be identified publicly. I am mainly looking for the legal position and the correct procedure a law student should follow.
