IBC Code: Complete Overview and Drafting Workshop. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Poonamsimrat (need justice)     14 November 2014

How to got my istridan from my husband

kindly help me to get my istridhan from my in laws and also provde details what is the details of istridhan


is in istridhan gift given by in laws also include.


 6 Replies

house wife... (na)     14 November 2014

what cases u put on ur husband till now,.....what is ur case tell

Poonamsimrat (need justice)     14 November 2014

i put two case on him one is DV in dowary act and second maintence for me and my daughter who is 1 year old.

also file case in women cell

Poonamsimrat (need justice)     14 November 2014

but the case which fill in court regarding the maintence on 1 july14  first date i got in 22 sep'14 next date will be 9th dec'14 why the timeline is so long?

house wife... (na)     14 November 2014

time frame is generally not so long as u got....my hearings are on 15 days gap maximum...i file case on feb 2014 ..now in consideration stage...for interim relife.....weather u got maintenance or not yet......u file 498a on him or not?...i m also like u have 2 yr old daughter.......only after we file 498a fir we cant get our istridhan etc...bt its not sure.......


You need to have original VAT bills to claim such stridhan. No bills = no claims.  As simple as that.  If you produce fake bills, you go jail, along with the person who gave you those fake bills.


Why dont you guys keep your dhan separately with you in a locker in a bank, and operate it yourself, instead of crying later to get those?


Why do you guys give it to the husband in the first place? and then claim it is your dhan???  Weird.

All the best for the vasooli karyakram.:)

Adv. Chandrasekhar (Advocate)     15 November 2014

@Poonamsimrat & @housewife,

Stridhan is all those gifts and cash and also valuable debentures (share certificates), property and also jewellery given to the bride by the bride's parents, her relatives, her friends and also MOST IMPORTANTLY BY THE GROOM'S PARENTS, HIS RELATIVES.  So, that stridhan is the absolute property of the wife and no one has got any right on those things.  Due to the Indian traditions, in marriages, despite the prohibition in law, divorce is given to the boy by the girl's side.  The boy, his parents, more often than not, mix  up the dowry and stridhan and think it over that it is their property.  Even in certain sections of the society, women are treated as property and not a living human being.   Advertisements are classic example - TV is compared with Biwi and cars are also compared to women.  But in some families, the newly steped in bride in matrimonial home is in baffled state and in such situation, MIL comes out and asks the new bride to handover the jewellery (stridhan) for keeping it in safe custody.  The bride reluctantly parts with such things and once asks later on, that irks the MIL and there starts bickerings etc.  That is the fate of Indian holy family life.  The concept of Stridhan that intended to exude confidence and financial security to the newly wed wife in alien matrimonial home becomes her nemises and causes the cause of estrangement.  That is  the fact of the life.

STRI DHAN  can be recovered in three methods.  The first method is in Domestic violence Act, there is a provision for recovery of stridhan.  In your petition, you have to clearly spell out the stridhan articles etc.  It is not required that you have to show purchase bills, VAT receipts.  Because in most cases, ancestral jewellery, kept for daughters are given to her when she becomes bride.  For such kind of articles as well as share and debentures, FDRs, you cannot find receipts.  In the case of documents, you need not worry, their duplicate copies can be obtained.  In alternative to this, you can file Section 406 IPC complaint before the police and the police attempt to recover them in prelitigation stage.  If it cannot be recovered the matter will be sent by them to the court by lodging FIR.  If you succeed there, you will get them back along with appropriate punishment to them who forcefully kept them with them.  But the quality of evidence here is very heavy.  Finally, you can file a civil suit for recovery of them.  Here, the litigation is expensive one because huge court fee has to be paid.  So, I suggest the first one - filing domestic violence case and obtain the stridhan.   

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query