Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sagar Madiwal (Agriculturist)     24 December 2014

Home loan tax benefits for wife

Respected Experts,

This query is regarding getting home loan on a property which is in my wife's name and claiming income tax deductions (principle and interest for self occupied) for the same. Here is the complete history of the property.

1. I had bought an house (sole owner and acquired by my own money) in 2009 which I sold in 2013. I have claimed capital gains exemption as I sold my property  after 3 years of purchasing my property (house).

2. Invested the money in a new property jointly purchased along with my Father-In-Law (he paid some more amount), which was registered in my wife's and Father-In-Law's name.

3. My wife is not having any source of income and she is a home maker. Not filled tax at all in her name.

4. My Father-In-Law gifted his part of the property to my wife through a registered gift deed. All my Father-In-Law's legal heirs signed the same (FIL, MIL and BILs).

4. Now the property is entirely in my wife's name. I would like to go for a home loan and construct a new house on this property.

These are my questions:

1. I would like to claim tax benefits for the home loan that I am going to avail. What are the legal aspects that I have to consider to make sure I can claim tax benefits (principal and interest)?

2. What is your opinion on the above transaction? Could you please advice if I need to take care of any other legal aspect of it?

Your follower,

Sagar

Learning

0 Replies

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register