25% OFF on all LCI Courses. Offer valid till 5th Oct. Use Code: DUS25
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

kashish (pa)     30 April 2012

Help materimonial

i am married my in laws snached all my jewellary and valuable items from me.....

1.  now i want to know that weather i can claim both of them (jewellary and valuable items) or not ???

2.  and in jewellary--- can i ask for that jewellary which was recived by me from my inlaws 

3.  and in gifts from my and their relatives also..

Please answer sepratly for all three sepratly...

thanks reply need urgently.


 5 Replies

Adv.R.P.Chugh (Advocate/Legal Consultant (rpchughadvocatesupremecourt@hotmail.com))     30 April 2012

Dear Ms.Kashish,


You can file a criminal case u/s 406 for Criminal Breach of Trust if your in-laws have misappropriated or otherwise converted to their own use articles entrusted to them by you. 

Things gifted to you from your or their relatives belong to you and you are entitled to the same.

If you are not willing to exercise criminal remedies. If your city has civil courts - you can file a suit for recovery u/s 7 of the Family Courts Act, the court may expediate your recovery. 


Feel free to talk!

1 Like

kashish (pa)     30 April 2012

does it includes that jewellary which was recived by me from my inlaws (during my marriage and engagement, husband and mother in law), 

Anish Thakur 7018812737 (advocate)     30 April 2012


you can claim for all your jewellary beside all this you have many more rights.

call once .

1 Like


1. Yes you may claim in court for your jewellery &   other valuable things.
2. Yes you can say if you have a proof of such jewellery & valuable items. Proof such as bill, video film at the time of marriage, any other electronics recording where in laws accepted this.
3. All gifts those given to you personally is your property.
But .....But.... But....
Have you children ?

Is your Husband in your favour ? If not.

And you claim in court, your in laws will understand you as enemy and your husband may negate/blame you.
It destroy your matrimonial life.
Don't file case in hesitate. Use physiological treatment.

Perfect physiological advice++++++
First ask to your husband politely your problem.
may be possible your in law thinks you cant keep safe the jewellery. assured her you can do this.

if not get success

*Second- ask to your parents and get a meeting with both of side family members- solve problem by family mediation.

if not get success

* Third- wait for sometimes.
* Fourth- File complaint before mediation and solve problem.- Court case is ultimate option.


1 Like

Nadeem Qureshi (Advocate/ nadeemqureshi1@gmail.com)     01 May 2012

Dear Kashish

as per indian law all the jwellary and gifts given by your in-laws at the timeof engagement or marriage or after the marriage or given by your husband, or given by your parents,all the items comes under your Stridhan and you have right to file a criminal case against them if they are not ready togive you your Stridhan. you can file a complaint against them u/s 406, 420 IPC

feel free to call

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query