Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rahuul (Student)     27 September 2010

Help a crying Mother. Court gave custody to father.

Dear All,

Please suggest me what to be done in this case. Any good citation would be really helpful.

Story: This case is regarding my younger sister. She got married to in the year 2003 and have a baby named in the year 2004.

Husband's family at the time of marriage: Mother, father, one mentally disturbed elder brother (had gone to Pagal khana several times), One alchoholic middle brother, who used to abuse everyone in the house all the time, Sister's daughter (bhanji). Two other brothers who stays in different cities.

As usual, some problem cropped up between the two and one day
When the daughter was two and half years old, his husband took the baby and send it to his brother's house in Delhi. He also took entire family leaving behind my sister alone.

We initially thought that this would be normalized after few days, but we got a notice of a divorce case which is filled by the husband.

We are fighting the case in the court and the judgment is yet to come.

Meanwhile, the wife has filled for the custody of the minor girl child who was forcefully taken over by the husband. Till date he has not allowed the wife to see the baby. The baby has severe urine infection problem, which both the parents are aware of and the treatment was also underway.

On a family court judgment, the custody of the child has been given to the father as he has shown his income is better than of the wife.

Wife is preparing for filing the petition in High court challenging the family court judgment based on these facts:
1. At the time of maintainance (in maintainance case),the husband produced papers in the court saying that he does not have income and hence he can't pay the maintainance. And in the same court he produced that he has 50,000 Rs. per month income, and he can take care of the baby better.
2. Being a minor girl child, the custody should go to the mother.

I have joined this forum to get some help from the learned lawyers here to give justice to a crying mother, who has not even seen her baby from last 3 years.

Thanks for reading and your valuable time.

Rahuul

Learning

4 Replies

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     27 September 2010

1. There are lapses it seems from the narration by mother and or by a lawyer. I said this because "jurisdiction" in child custody case is totally different ball than "jurisdiction" as perceived in other civil / criminal case. Having said so, tell us where the mother filed the case for custody first of all; was it in her place or at Delhi where the child was removed from ordinarily residence of?

2. The second lapse (probably) I noticed from yoru briefs is that of not putting in a Interim Application for custody / visitation ie. U/s 12 GWA if the custody case was filed using GWA The Act. But, it looks from your post that under a HMA Suit the mother filed a S. 26 HMA case for final custody of child but I also see missing a S. 151 CPC Application for Visitation and or a specific Prayer under S/ 26 HMA for interim Visitation till final Order pops out etc. ? If these observations are correct then mind you S. 26 HMA is not that powerful a section unlike S. 25 GWA R/w S. 10, S. 12 and S. 17 all GWA The Act for custody / visitation of 'child' and or 'ward' etc.!.

3. The third observation is based on interpretation in your brief wherein you say and I quote "father well of so custody granted to him". Actually there are binding precedents from Hon'ble Apex Court and even from Hon'ble Delhi HC which has said the other way round ie. father and or mother's income parameters are not at all the sole criteria to decide the custody grant of; hence I feel unless a Lawyer reads through the entire Order and or the Decree wordings it may become a bit early reply (take) here hence I am not speaking my mind much at this stage.

4. The forth point that caught my attention is the "medical well being of the minor clubbed with father's side family conduct" during the trial. I see the conduct (i.e. environs of child where she is brought up) which your sister side lawyer was supposed to highlight missing.

5. In a child custody award the key lis revolves around S. 17 GWA and if you understand the meaning of each word under S. 17 GWA then the case is probably all yours.

However, if your sister is going for Appeal then may be using O 41 / R 27 CPC new evidences / facts may be adduced before superior Court and with proper reasoning which probably were left out previously may bring the correct facts before Appellate Court for favourable order this time otherwise Hon'ble SC is still there to approach later.

But, since the child seems to be all settled (said it due to lapse of time from her removal and till date) the whole exercise (Appeal) needs a seasoned Child Custody knowledgeable Lawyer fine handlling the Appellate case. Well in a way these are doable (means reversible) and wish your sister and her side of family all the best.

BTW, from all these paras let the “welfare of child” come out as winner which only your two sides of the family are best to project and or judge and or feel content with at the end of the day!

Babu (Teacher)     20 December 2014

DearAll,

Please suggest me what to be done in this case. Any good citation would be really helpful?

I am physically challanged with 100% of disability. My both legs were afftected by polio at my chilhood. I Cannot walk. Working as Teacher (Govt. employee).  I married one lady in 1998. A boy was born in 1999 Divorced in 2004.  The boy's custody forever with mother. But she expired  in 2005.  The boy is living with mother's parental family, with the brother of his mother.  That my son was adopted by him.

I married another lady in 2005 according to Hindu customs and rites. Got a male child on 13-09-2005.  And a female child on 27-08-2007. She converted into Christian religion in 2002 (Took Baptism - I have got her baptism certificate ).  She committed for criminal activities towards me and my father. She punished by the court u/s 323 and 506 of I.P.C. She also beat young aged children where medical treatment was given (prescripttions available).  My wife discontinued 10th class. I encouraged her to continued studies, joined in B.A. open university. But she failed to continue it.  She developed extra marital relationship with one guy at where we lived.   And she left my society on 14.04.2013 along with female child where a missing complaint was filed. Our male child was staying with me.  After 3 months she came to me along with the female child and stayed for 20 days and went away along with the two children on dt. 25-07-2013. At the time they were studying in private school under my custody.  I called her to come back. But she did not heed. I used to send articles, dress to children. My wife filed maintenance case u/s 125 Cr.P.C. where she is residing. I filed O.P. seeking Restitution of conjugal Rights But she remained absent after counseling made. Ex-parte decree passed in favor me. And the M.C. case was transferred to my place on the ground of my disability. I am paying the children school fee upon the request of the school management (Through phone call) as the mother not paying. The male child is in 10th year studying 4th class. The female child is in 8th year studying 2nd class. The children may like to continue with their mother as they are residing with her now.  The female child told me over the phone that she is afraid of her mother. My wife also wrote me a letter stating that she is working as tailor at her place She joined children in a corporate school. She is residing in her parental house though I called her to come back. She is getting trouble to pay children school fee which are heavy.  Requested me to send school fee. And she also wrote me if I pay school fee she can withdraw the M.C..  I already sent the school fee and continuing.  I wrote two letters with calling her to my conjugal society otherwise send the children to me in view of welfare and future of children.  Which were not replied till now.  Last letter to her by me on dt. 16th Novemer, 2014.

Me and my father are very much interested towards the children. As they are very attached us.

The male child born in the place where they are residing now.  And the female born at my place. They stayed with me upto July, 2013. 

Now my questions are:-

1.                   I would like to file custody petition.  Where should I file?  Either in my living pass – RCR decreed, The children grew here

2.                   or the place of residence of children right now. – The male child born there and they are residing there from July, 2013 continuously – Studying there.

3.                   What is jurisdiction point to file child custody petition?

4.                   Is there any possibility to execution RCR decree.   And what is the procedure?

5.                   Am I eligible to get child custody?

6.                   Is she eligible to get maintenance after RCR decree passed in favour of me. (Ex-parted)

7.                   What is the time limit to re-open the RCR set a side by her?

8.                   She ready to give divorce.  I am not interested to leave the children with her.  And I think she may change. 

Seeking your valuable opinion on these points.  Kindly reply as soon as possible.

With warm regards,

BABU

+91-9550584717

<babuanapa@gmail.com>

Prasad (Systems Engineer)     23 January 2015

A child cannot speak for itself. 

Let's honour the right of the child to live with both of its parents.

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/A-child-cannot-speak-for-itself--115462.asp#.VMJI9keUeL0

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register