LIVE Online Course on NDPS by Riva Pocha and Adv. Taraq Sayed. Starting from 24th May. Register Now!!
The Indian Constitution Courses

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Alexander (---)     08 July 2011

Girl forced to marry be parents

Hello sir,

This case is not for me but for my friend. She is only 19 years old. But her parents are compelling her to marry her relative. She is not at all willing to marry this guy and hates him. But all the family members are compelling her. Is there any legal actions can be taken to protect her? please do respond. Thanks in Advance


 7 Replies

harshit saxena (student)     08 July 2011

go to any police station,with age proof,or file writ petition in highcourt....

prashant pundhir (Criminal Lawyer)     08 July 2011

Habious corpus can be filed in the high court from her side .

Adv. Chandrasekhar (Advocate)     08 July 2011

Neither writ petition  nor habeas corpus petition lies for the reason the former can be filed only against the statutory body (State) as defined in Article 12 of the constitution of India and parents will not come under this category.  Habeas corpus does not lie for the reason that the petitioner is not demanding the presence of any person before the court.  The relief lies in civil suit seeking the permanent injunction against the parents not to force her to marry of their own choice and allow her to chose her own life partner.  She will get interim stay as well as at the end final permanent injunction. In addition to this, she can file police complaint.  In addition to this, she has to convey verbally and if necessary, write a letter to the boy without hurting his feelings  that she does not want to marry him. 

1 Like

Bharatkumar (ADVOCATE )     08 July 2011

Your friend discuss with his family and says i m not marry with this person who like u if u r compelling me i can do legal action against u all. OR 

Your friend says that now she is 19 years old and she is not marry at this time and she is marry whose person who like her and If the family members r not ready for that she meet the boy who is marry with her and she is says him her problem.   

nithyarangasamy (legal trainee)     08 July 2011

as she become major she got full right to chose her own life. hence tell her to be bold and advice her to tell her parents about her williness. if they forced come out and go to job. addition she just made a complaint to police station about teh things.


Advise her, Put a complaint in PS against her parents not for innocent fiancee or his parents because they are not the culprit's.

Also consult with boy family. He dis-regard on his own way.

Otherwise, A new 498a/ 406 case arise on or before marriage.

Many parents fix their daughter marriage irrespect of her consent and result is Boy & his family to pay the cost.

Have a first try to meet directly with boy personally. He surely understand.



Abhinatre Gupt.

Shonee Kapoor (Legal Evangelist - TRIPAKSHA)     21 September 2011

Adv Chandu has given the sane advise.


All other ways out are just for your own satisfaction and would not yield any results.




Shonee Kapoor

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query