Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Kiran (Consultant)     25 March 2010

Divorce on the grounds of Cruelty and Dessertion

Hi,

Need expert suggestions on my case.. Below are the details of my case.

I got married in August 2005. For few months my wife and myself lived happily but personality clashes, ego conflict developed slowly. 

In March 2007, while I was at office,  my wife left the matrimonial home at Hyderabad and she went to her parents house at  Vizag even without informing me. Afetr several medialtion by my parents via phone with her her parents, after 11 months, 

she returned back to Hyderabad and joined with me in February 2008. Howverer even second time she stayed for a short period of 25 days. She again left the matrimonial home on March 06th 2008 and again without informing me while I was not at home.

After she left for the second time there were no phone calls from her or her parents/relatives. I and my parents also kept quiet for 7 months and in the end of September 2008 we sent her a Lawyer notice stating the facts and asking her to come and settle the issues within 2 weeks of the reciept of the notice. 

But after recieving my notice, she sent a reply notice stating all wrong facts that I harrassed her demanding additional dowry and my self and my parents used to beat her and we subjected her to physical cruelt. I was schocked seeing the reply notice from her.  

Within few days of sending the reply notice she filed an FIR in Vizag police station for 498-A case and on the same day she filed a maintanence petition in the Vizag family court. Immediately after filing the FIR for 498-A case in the police station she sent police to my house withing 3 days in order to get me arrested. My parents are staying at a different place and they are not related to my matrimonial affairs but even then she included my parents also in the 498-A case.

However, my Lawyer was cautious enough and he applied for aniticpatory bail for me and my parents and we got anticipatory bail and myself and my parents were not arrested. My wife filed the maintanence case by suppressing her employment in public sector bank. The Vizag Family court Judge dismissed her maintenance petition since she is already working in Public sector bank and we DO NOT have any children

After these incidents, I filed a Divorce petition on the grounds of Cruelty and Desertion in May 2009 at Vizag Family court ( because even if I file in Hyderabad family court, since my wife is staying at Vizag, she can get the divorce case transferred to Vizag). I mentioned in my divorce case that my Wife deserted me in March 2007 and also filed a false 498 A case against me and my old and sicky parents. When I filed the divorce case, the 498-A case is still going on in Vizag Sessions court. 

However, My divorce petiotion is dismissed in January 2010 by Vizag Family court. The Judge mentioned in his Order that  " Mere filing of 498 A case does NOT constitute Cruelty" since we were NOT arrested in 498-A case and for Dessertion clause, since my Wife left the matrimonial home for the last time on March 06th 2008 and I filed the divorce petition in May 2009, the Mandatory 2 year period for dessertion is not yet completed by the time I filed the divorce petition in the Vizag Family court. The 498-A case judgement did not come by the time divorce case Jugdement has come in January 2010.

In Febraury 2010, the 498-A case that was running in Vizag Sessions court was also dismissed by the Sessions Judge stating that the allegations were NOT proved against me and my parents.

Now I filed an appeal for my Divorce in A.P. High court in March 2010. By the time I filed my appeal in High court, the mandatory 2 year period was over, even if you consider the date, the last time my wife left the matimonial home i.e. March 06th 2008.

Now my quetion is will High Court consider the appeal filing date as the "Divorce filing date" or will it tsill consider the divorce filing date as trhe one filed in the lower court i.e May 2009? 

I contended in the lower court that a short period of 25 days stay should not be considered and the desertion date by my wife should be considered as March 2007 but the lower court did NOT consider that. Had the lower court considered my argument, then the mandatory period of 2 years would have been completed by the time I filed divorce in the lower court ( Vizag family Court) itself because she first desserted me in March 2007 and I filed my divorce case in May 2009. But court did NOT consider her first desertion date.

Also now since the 498-A case was also dismissed, now I have a strong contention that I was subjected to mental cruelty because of False 498-A case, and my wife tried to play fraud on the lower court in the maitenance case by suppressing her employment and claiming maintenance from me and late was NOT able to win that case.

Will my contentions be enough to get divorce from her? Does filing a false 498-A case constitutes cruelty? Does "DESSERTION" clause come into effect in my case in High Court considering my appeal filing date?

Please provide your valuable updates..

Learning

7 Replies

Kulveer ( )     25 March 2010

Hi Kiran,

Even I am also eager to know whether a false 498-A case constitutes cruelty. However around 2 months earlier I read in newspaper that false 498A is no longer considered as mental cruelty, a judgment passed by SC. However it was considered cruelty earlier and people use to get ex-parte divorce in case of acquittal from 498A. I am not sure about that as I read that in newspaper. 

Will any ld lawyer veryfiy that?

Victim_Kol (Middle Executive)     26 March 2010

So a woman can do damn thing like filing false criminal cases, abusing the elderly parents & relatives. But that would not be treated as cruelty.

Bloody Indian Law !

1 Like

Kiran (Consultant)     26 March 2010

Hi Prabhakar,

Thank you for the update...Though it is clear from your writing, I submitted the appeal petition in High court on 15th March 2010 and my wife's last dessertion date ( which she has agreed in her reply notice and counter for divorce) is March 06th 2008. So the mandatory period of two years is completed if you consider the appeal date in High court.. Can we contend on that basis in High court?

I badly need divorce from my wife as I cannot continue a relation ship with a girl who will leave the matrimonial home at her wish and files criminal/civil cases to extract money from me evn by playing fraud.

Now I am in a position that I have to win divorce in High Cout by hook or crook. The riduculous part is even now after doing all these things she wanted to come back and live with me and she is NOT agreeing for divorce/mutual consent of divorce. She just wants to take full control over me and make me as a hen-pecked husbad so that she can satify her illegal dictates.

Please help me if there is anything that I can do in the High court so that I will definitely get divorce granted atleast in High court.

Thanks a lot in anticipation!

1 Like

Suryanarayana Tangirala (Advocate)     26 March 2010

Mr.Kiran as Mr. Prabhakar said there is no ground for desertion in your case in so far 498-A is concerned mere filing a case doest amount to cruetly,filing a false case and harrassing does amount to you can bank on that ground in Appeal which is pending before highcourt,iam surprised to know that under ground of cruetly did u plead only filing of 498-A as cruetly?if there are other acts or deeds also apart from filing 498-A and if the same were not taken in consideration by court then it can certainly come to your resuce,without seeing entire record of your case just from facts you CANNOT get a proper opinion about your case

Vikas Dharmendra (Consultant)     27 March 2010

Law are really contradictory,,,, I do not know why it  is forced even everybody including lawyers and judges know that marriage will not work between couples. It is just haressment for male partner by the provisions of law.

1 Like

Kiran (Consultant)     27 March 2010

I do have other contentions apart from filing a False 498-A case which can consititute cruelty. She never behaved as a dutiful wife from the begining and used to spend all the money which I gave her to her friends and her parents. She just tried to use me while her stay with me. BUT I dont have written proofs for many of the things she has done. After all it is very tough to prove things which has happened inside the doors especially in the case of matrimonial disputes.

Also, she never used to do job while she was with me but after leaving to her parents house she worked in various capacities first as a lecturer in Engineering college and then she got job in Public sector bank. I dont understand what she achieveing by doing all this as even she cannot also marry a different person if she is not willing for divorce. She is spoling my life and hers also...

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register