Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

makara prasad   23 June 2021

Father (deceased) name spelt wrong in land registration doc



My father name in Death Certificate Adhar etc is Bujji Babu, but in one of the Land Registration Document it is written as Bujjiah Babu. Can you please suggest what steps i should take if i have to sell this property


 1 Replies

srishti jain   02 August 2021

As per the scenario you have mentioned, you can change your name in the land registration document.

The process to change the name in land records-

  1. Submit an affidavit that mentions the correct name. Two gazette officers should sign it.
  2. The change of name should be published in the local newspapers. It should be published in two newspapers, one is in English daily and another your state’s official language newspaper. 
  3. Then send the copy of the advertisement with all the required documents to the Department of Publication to complete the legal procedure of name change.
  4. Once the name is legally changed, you should visit the land registry office and submit all the proofs related to the new name change with a nominal fee.
  5. Once the verification of documents is completed, the name will be updated on the government records. A copy of this will be sent to your address.  

The entire process to get the name updated in land records will take around 15 to 20 days. The government has also introduced an online procedure to update name changes which is faster and easier. Each state has different online portals to update the name changes in land records.

Hope it helps,



Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query