LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

S V Narayanan (Personnel Manager)     04 November 2009

ESI / PF for Notice pay

Employer terminates the employee by giving one month / two month notice pay.

My querries are:-

1) Whether it will be treated as 'wages' under Labour Laws

2) Whether PF & ESI contributions are to be deducted?

3) Is there any Higher court rulings are there to substantiate the answer.

Would be thankful for early reply.

S V NARAYANAN

Learning

7 Replies

Narayan (Audit Consultant)     04 November 2009

Answer to ur query

My  assumption  is the notice pay for one month or two months will be treated as wages and P.F.,E.S.I to be deducted from the notice pay.

V S Saraswathy (Consultant)     04 November 2009

Dear Sir,

The following renumeration are not to be considered as wages.

Notice pay or retrenchment compensation

Cash benefit received under the ESI scheme

Fixed conveyance allowance.   Etc.

We will now discuss some of the important court decisions defining the term wages.

Section 2(22) Wages – Meaning of – Inam paid or to be paid to employees of Braithwaite and Co. (India Ltd under its Inam scheme dated December 28 1955 is not

Wages within the meaning of Section 2(22) of the Act.

sinuvasu (advisor)     04 November 2009

dear sir,

If any employee was terminated without any piror notice & retrenchment benifts,who has been employed for three years.Under this circumstance can an employee file a petition to seek justice and final settlement of salaries.expenses including the providend fund in the labour court?

S V Narayanan (Personnel Manager)     05 November 2009

Saraswathy ji...thanks for your guidance...little clarity i require...notice pay will not fall under the category of inam, i believe...it has to be treated as wages...Employer is not allowing the employee to work for the entire month instead paying some amount and relieving...had employee worked entire month he would have eligible for pay...therefore, it has to be treated as wages as per ESI Act...

Raj Kumar Makkad (Adv P & H High Court Chandigarh)     05 November 2009

Definitely it is wages say paid in advance without seeking work of the employee and this wages requires deduction of EPF and ESI as per provisions.

V S Saraswathy (Consultant)     06 November 2009

dear sir,

Notice pay will not fall under the category of Inam. Even though employer is not allowing the employee to work for the entire month, Notice pay  has to be treated as compensation and ESI.,PF not to be duducted .  When you are showing in the ledger under wages & salaries account,you have to mention notice pay paid to so & so member.

ranjan (software engineer)     09 December 2009

Hi Sinuvasu

if the company terminated service without giving any notice or compensation then u have very good case and u will get justice, but u have to give more info on how termination is effected then i can give u proper advice how to initiate action

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register