Civil Procedure Code (CPC)

Electricity theft

Hi Experts,

My neighbor was booked under electricity theft case under section 135 electricity act, he found not guilty for theft by court but department is saying to pay the penalty of 2 lakhs stating that you found not guilty by the court but theft is taken place by the concern electric meter.

please advise to how to wave of the alleged charges..





Retired Manager


  1. What were the points based on which the Electricity Board filed the Criminal case?
  2. Did they pray for payment of the bill for the amount assessed for the electricity theft plus the penalty?

Unless full facts of the criminal case details and the judgement details are examined no conclusion can be given in the matter.


In case, it is felt that a wrongful case is filed against the friend, he can very well file a case against the Electricity Department for damages as he is not found guilty in the case and is being penalised for payment of damages. You may contact a local Lawyer and place full facts and documents before him and seek assistance.




The case is already stated to have been decided in favour of accused wherein your neighbour is stated to be acquitted (not guilty of charges) and closed, what do you want to know ?


Better to seek advise from your local lawyer and act accordingly. Without the judgement we could not give our reply


Need to go through the documents.

Practicing Lawyer 9918411669

Many times accused is unpunished due to absence of evidences against him/her, but if we corroborate the events & circumstances, the cases may go against accused. 

Retired employee.

The simple answer is "Court verdict" is final.  Contact a local advocate for better understanding of the orders and issue a notice to dept., through such Advocate alleging harassment and contempt of court.

Total likes : 1 times


If the accused had been accused,  it should be that the electricity theft charges were not proved before court. 

It doesn't means that the electricity department cannot  recover the charges for power consumed by owner of the meter.

You may have to challenge the recovery suit before court if you have been dragged by the department for recovery. 


Section 135 in The Indian Electricity Rules, 1956

135. Supply and use of energy by non-licensees and others.—Where any person other than a non-licensee is supplied with energy by a non-licensee or other person or has his premises for the time being connected to the conductors or plant of a non-licensee or other person, or himself generates energy and uses such energy or part thereof, such person shall be deemed to be a consumer for the purposes of rules 9, 10, 29 to 33 (inclusive), 45 to 70 (inclusive), 87 and 142 and non-licensee or other person shall be subject to all the liabilities imposed on a licensee by these rules.

"taken place by the concern electric meter" How is that there is an electric meter when, admittedly, the accused person is not licenced consumer. Please post complete facts.



Sir, the complete fact is in 2015 my neighbor booked under electricity theft sec 135 of sub clause (1) electricity act 2003, direct tapping from the electric pole imposed loss of consumption of electricity of Rs 2,68000/- and meter is in the name of deceased person of their family and he is a beneficiary and prosecution failed to produce evidence before the court that he is beneficiary therefore benefit of doubt my neighbor found not guilty in the year 2019... there is nothing mention in the judgement about payments of bill and from 2015 onwards electricity department adding this penalty in the bill and so far they paid in ignorance about Rs.1,30,000/- and now after acquittal department is demanding to pay remaining Rs. 1,38,000/- as arears of 2015..

this is the actual fact.. please advise




Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  


  Search Forum



Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query
Civil Litigation Course     |    x