LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Indranath Mukherjee (Software Engineer)     25 November 2009

Effect on Caste After Marriage

Hello All, My wife belongs to SC category, while I am a Bengali Brahmin. My question goes here - Is it that after marriage she cannot avail the SC reservation and entitled to apply for bank/competitive exams under SC category ? Please Clarify.

Fyi, She has already started to use my Surname ie 'Mukherjee' . So, If she does apply for a bank job, which Surname should she use legally. Does the Surname has anything to do with SC quota / General quota ? I am getting confused with all these doubts. All your solutions will be highly appreciated.



 4 Replies

Adv Archana Deshmukh (Practicing Advocate)     25 November 2009

 You wife can still avail the SC reservations and facilities. Even if she uses your surname, it has nothing to do with availing the benefits conferred upon her by the caste of her birth. However these benefits shall not be available to your children.

1 Like

Indranath Mukherjee (Software Engineer)     25 November 2009

Thanks Archana for the quick response. Thats clears my doubt to a larger extent.

One doubt still remains - Suppose she uses "her name + my Surname" in availing any SC facilities / reservations, BUT she has the old Surname (Surname before marriage) in her SC Caste Certificate. Will the Caste Certificate hold good and considered valid as the names are different now ?

Also we do have a marriage Certificate. Is it that we need to provide both Caste Certificate and Marriage cerificate to validate her SC caste.

Marriage Certificate to validate the change in name - Or any other doc required ? & Caste Certificate to validate her SC caste.




Adv Archana Deshmukh (Practicing Advocate)     25 November 2009

 She can use her previous surname + your surname. She'll have to produce her caste certificate and marriage certificate. 

1 Like

amit (ceo)     01 November 2010

Hi,I m from general category and my wife belongs from sc category, here I want to know what options are available for us if any, so that in future the quotas available for my wife i.e. for sc category can also be made available for me and our children.

Thanks with regards..

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register