Intellectual Property Rights: Practice and Drafting by Adv Gautam Matani. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

ramakrishna (programmer)     28 February 2013

Do i have to file for divorce in india

I got married in 2003 in  India under HMA and we got a child  in 2004. We have been living seperately since 2006 and then I moved to USA in 2006.

I filed for divorce in USA in 2009, she was served with the notice for which she didn't  respond. Court in US granted divorce. In divorce decree I was ordered to pay $100 each month to my wife to take care of my child. I sent $100 each month to my ex-wife which she refusd to acceept. On advice of my attorney, I have been depositing the money in a bank account. I became a US citizen now.

Divorce decree I got from US court is not challenged in India court so far. Is it possible to challenge the divorce decree now?

I am engaged to other girl in India recently(2013). I am planning get her to US on fiancee visa and get married in USA. 

If I get married in USA, will that marriage be recoginzed in India. I would like to know, if my ex-wife can file for bigamy if I get marry in USA. 


 11 Replies

ramakrishna (programmer)     01 March 2013

Any one please help me.


Your's is unique case.

Please wait till I gather some information for you, until then other members will also reply.

R.K Nanda (Advocate)     01 March 2013 divorce decree cannot be challenged.

2.ur ex-wife cannot file bigamy case.

1 Like

ramakrishna (programmer)     01 March 2013

RK, thanks for your response. I would like to know, if my ex-wife can file for 498a?

R.K Nanda (Advocate)     01 March 2013

no,she cannot file it.

ramakrishna (programmer)     01 March 2013

RK, I heard that foreign divorce decree is not valid in India, if the divorce is ex-party. If that is true, my ex-wife can file for 498a and bigamy? Isn't it?

R.K Nanda (Advocate)     01 March 2013

now ur wife cannot file any cases as all are time barred.

1 Like

Msk-need -nuetral- laws (self)     02 March 2013

Eevn if she files, it will have no ground and be easily prayed to dismiss. However wait for 7 years of separation  period and even ioata of chance is nullified. After 7 years of separation, go ahead with your marriage

1 Like

ramakrishna (programmer)     03 March 2013

Msk: What is this 7 years seperation?

ramakrishna (programmer)     03 March 2013

Sam: Thanks for your response. I can sponsor would-be wife and get marry in USA but what if, if my ex-wife files for bigamy based on my marriage in USA whenever I visit India.

Originally posted by : ramakrishna

Msk: What is this 7 years seperation?


No cohabitation for a period of 7 years.  In simple words one has taken to celibacy, no contact of any kind whatsoever at all!

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register