Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Jay A   25 August 2021

Divorce Notice

Hello,

I need guidance, My wife dont want to stay at my hometown. We married 1 year 9 months back and we stayed total 4 months together in another city with their families members.

Post to marriage, we never visited
my hometown together and mostly staying at her house and not coming back at my hometown now.

We last seperates in month of Jan 21, and she now she don't want to return at hometown.

please suggest, I would like to end of this topic so please suggest further steps.

Thanks in advance.

Learning

2 Replies

H.JanakiManohar Rao (lawyer)     25 August 2021

Marriage means adjustment.You or she must come to an understanding.If it fails mutual consent divorce is last resort for ameicable settlement.Finally legal divorce by contest.

Ananya Gosain   26 August 2021

Section 9 of the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955, which deals with restitution of conjugal rights, says: “When either the husband or the wife has, without reasonable excuse, withdrawn from the society of the other, the aggrieved party may apply, by petition to the district court, for restitution of conjugal rights. If a spouse refuses cohabitation, the other spouse can move the family court seeking a decree for cohabitation.

Further, If you seek permanent separation, in terms of Hindu religion, there are two options- Judicial separation and Divorce. Judicial separation gives both sides to a strained marriage some time for introspection, so that termination of a marriage by means of divorce may be prevented. 

GROUNDS FOR DIVORCE AND JUDICIAL SEPERATION ARE THE SAME-

(i) voluntary s*xual intercourse with any person other than his or her spouse after solemnization of marriage;

(ii) Cruelty

(iii) Spouse deserted the other spouse for a continuous period of not less than 2 years immediately preceding the presentation of the petition;

(iv) Ceased to be a Hindu 

(v) Unsound mind

(vi) Virulent and incurable form of leprosy

(vii) venereal disease in a communicable form

(viii) Renunciation 

(viii) Presumed dead for more than 7 years

• The judicial separation period is for one year.
  • Spouses continue to be legally married. While the marriage has not been dissolved, they are not living together and cohabiting.
  • No spouse is allowed to remarry 
  • During judicial separation, the court has to be convinced that neither of the spouses intends to continue co-habitation.
  • Once the period of judicial separation is over, then the parties can petition for a divorce decree

To conclude if any of the grounds are applicable to your situation, you are entitled to the relief of judicial separation. Once the period of judicial separation is over, then the parties can petition for a divorce decree.

Hope this helps

Regards 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register