Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Pooja Patil (manager)     22 October 2012

Divorce and property distribution

Hi

My husband and i co own a flat , we had bought the same for 40 lacs and now it is costing 65-70 lacs, in three years i have been single handedley repaying the emi of 31k per monthalong with other exp lik maintanence and property tax etc

i also have 17 month old son for which my husband deos not pay maintanence, now that dv was filed in nov 2011 and divorce was filed in aug this year my husbabd has filed rcr and says he wants to stay with me,

i do not wnat to stay with him as he is a fraudster and keeps hitting and harassing me for money all the time as he earns less than wat i do,

now he says he will not give me divorce unless i surrender the flat to him and take the son and walk out.

he is not staying with for last 6 months but keeps harassing me all the time by calling me to local police station for reconciliation. earlier he himself had got a lawyer asking for mcd and terms of mcd were same i take the babay and walk out which i denied after that he has made my life hell.

kindly advice what to do

Learning

8 Replies

Advocate M.Bhadra   22 October 2012

Since the abolished of Benami Transaction Act in the Year 1988, your share in respect of  property(flat) half as per Title Deed you are both co-owner which is mortgage to the Bank,it does not matter who spent  the money for purchase the flat or who paid EMI. You should hold the possession of the said flat  and you have residential right in half share of your husband till the Decree of Divorce,if there is any problem  would arise you can default the EMI by which bank may take possession and can sell the property.As your child is minor your hasband can not claim for custody ,he may be granted visitation right only.

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     23 October 2012

Tough to clearly spell out especially when the thread post is asked by a lady L

Nevertheless one has to start somewhere so how about a saying "Wives get interim maintenance and Indian Husbands get interim bail."

I have some reservation about accepting the proposition that whatever estranged wife states with or without rational basis should be accepted as gospel truth. One cannot be oblivious to the human failing of an estranged wife to exaggerate income of her estranged husband to extract as much as possible due to ever increasing lack of sense of security. Every Court is supposed to be circumspect to ensure that unconsciously by any such order the Court is not forcing one or the other party to the extremes.

She cried – and the judge wiped her tears with my cheque-book.
– Tommy Manville.

In most cases in
India, the fulcrum of divorce litigation is alimony, while in other countries its division of property; mostly in developed countries. This may be as a result of economic independence of women in such countries. It is seen that in developed countries alimony is made available mostly in cases involving wealthy couples or old couples who are ending long marriages.

Whereas in
India the alimony is decided on the basis of income and background of the couple. In few cases, alimony paid to the wife is based on the standard of living enjoyed by the couple while married. There is no fixed parameter for deciding the amount of alimony to be provided, law on this aspect is still developing, and it is mostly based on cases and orders already passed and taking into consideration the facts of the case to be decided.

As far as the issue of division of property is concerned, the same is primarily decided on the facts of each case and for this principles of equity are used. This is required because our law is not clear on the concept of common matrimonial property. It is deemed that a property in
India belongs to the person in whose name it is bought, even if it has been acquired during the course of marriage. Hence, even if a wife pays for some property and it is in the name of her husband, there is no way to prove during divorce proceedings that it rightfully belongs to her unless the wife produces evidence that she had paid for the said property.

"Give her a fish and you feed her for a day, teach her how to fish and you feed her for a life time." That is the real empowerment. But now LCI’s 7 (seven) @ TP misinterpreters what is your defination of fishing?

On your query I would suggets the deal offered by him is not bad at all. 

However there is another thing that could be done that is offer him un-restricted visitation of child to him and 50% share in flat in cash, how would that sound as you are not involved in visitation and child is both parents not only yours and yet you retain the flat. Offer this and he will agree as no Court can direct husband or Property developers to strike off co-owners name just like that be it so it was for “alimony” !.

Reasoning:
You are “quickly” walking out with divorce + alimony by way of flat + son in backdrop of years of proving what you stated in your brief as your gospels against he is now kicked out with empty hand how fair is that going to sound in equity and good conscience principles grounds and that is how divorce and property distribution thy name alimony is decided by Courts 
J

stanley (Freedom)     23 October 2012

Originally posted by : Minansu Bhadra

Since the abolished of Benami Transaction Act in the Year 1988, your share in respect of  property(flat) half as per Title Deed you are both co-owner which is mortgage to the Bank,it does not matter who spent  the money for purchase the flat or who paid EMI. You should hold the possession of the said flat  and you have residential right in half share of your husband till the Decree of Divorce,if there is any problem  would arise you can default the EMI by which bank may take possession and can sell the property.

I disagree with the above statement .Each party has to prove their  respective shares in the property and the same would be divided according to the proportion of their investments in the property as per the market value . The other option  for you is to purchase in propotion to the investment your husband  has made in the property and pay him his share accordingly as per market value and make the said property on your name .Defaulting is not the solution to the problem . Pay accordingly what belongs to each other and have a good nights sleep rather than facing gods warth for wrong doing and spending sleepless nights and as you say he is making your life hell .Your husband has a right to stay in the house as he too is a co- owner to the property and you cant stop him from that .

As your child is minor your hasband can not claim for custody ,he may be granted visitation right only.

Its not that he may be granted visitation but he would certainly be granted visitation which can be read u/s 21 of the DV act . And no mother has a right to take away a child's right to see the father and create a fatherless society am i right .My learned friend Minasu if you so wish i would debate the same on your reply / topic of visitation .

I now await the replies of our woman sensitive sympathisers for a debate on how would they  prove domestic  violence  which takes place inside the four walls of a bedroom .:)

(Guest)

@ stanley I now await the replies of our woman sensitive sympathisers for a debate on how would they prove domestic violence which takes place inside the four walls of a bedroom

LOL, going off-topic.

My saasu-maa can prove that. She is so good an actress. Sometime she comes in my dream and start crying in front me making me beleive  that I have done domestic violance. Seeing her tear I have, in my dreams,  several times apoligized her for the mistakes that I have not committed.

1 Like

(Guest)

@Tajobs

You are too good!!!

Pooja Patil (manager)     25 October 2012

Can i deny visitation right if my husband is denying maintainence for the baby saying that he has other expnses to take care off and since i earn more than him he will not pay any maintainence for baby to me and he also says if i want baby's expenses i handover the custody to him ,  don't know what is his motive behind this

, i too told him if you dont take ur resposibility then waive off your right for the child , will court support me in this? M i correct in saying this???

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     25 October 2012

It is very simple;

1. Law says child maintenance is co-extensive means shared by both. If route is via Court some day from now your child will get it. Parent have to segregate their issues from child issues then the clarity comes otherwise Court doors are always open and meanwhile the child will naturally grow up too waiting for the Court order on maintenance and it is not that the chidl will remain blank.

Child visitation is rights of the child to visit both parents equally when parents have issues between them. If route is via Court some day your child will get to visit natural father eventually unless he is declared Rapist, Dowry seeker and or a Pedophilic and same way if natural mother is declared to be suffereing with PPD or found to be Suicidal Tendencies then only chidl visitation and or custody are denied in extreme cases before that they both get it as the case may be.

If child maintenance route is via pragmatism (practical) then in your own admission you say you earn more than your husband so either you spend part of your earning on your child and donot ask him via Court OR give the child to him so that he feels what it takes to maintain the child with his limited earning now that he is natural father. Well via this route if he is not able to maintain the child the child will naturally come returned back to you. This is a practical test you have option to showcause right before Bench on Court floor!

stanley (Freedom)     25 October 2012

Originally posted by : Tajobsindia
 if natural mother is declared to be suffereing with PPD or found to be Suicidal Tendencies then only chidl visitation and or custody are denied in extreme cases before that they both get it as the case may be.

Paranoid personality disorder is a mental disorder characterized by paranoia and a pervasive, long-standing suspiciousness and generalized mistrust of others ( For eg Father may brainwash the child etc etc )  i have a another Que Tajobs when protection officer mentions in DIR report that the applicant has sucidical tendencies which they normally do and the applicant  even signs on it  i presume the same can be used against them  for child visitation am i right :)

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register