Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Peace (None)     26 August 2014

Distance education degree eligible to purisue llb course

Hello,

Due to various personal circumstances, I was unable to finish my graduation after 12th and only now after a gap of 15 year I started my studies again to gain a degree through distance education. I wish to pursue a career in Law but I am not sure I would be eligible for admission into LLB course. My question is two-fold

1.Whether upper age limit of 30 years applies to students seeking admission into 3 year LLB course

2. Whether a first degree, pursued through distance education, is acceptable for entry into 3 year LLB course. 

I quote the following from the eligibilty rules of legal education of Bar council Of India 

" The applicants who have obtained 10 + 2 or graduation / post

graduation through open Universities system directly without having any basic

qualification for prosecuting such studies are not eligible for admission in the

law courses."

If someone can provide clarity on the above two points and also the rules of BCI , a copy of which (in pdf format) is attached with this post .

Thanking you in advance.

Learning

7 Replies

dr g balakrishnan (advocate/counsel supreme court)     26 August 2014

truth is Bar councils want to restrict number of lawyers as already too many are there even from regular studies.

you can do first twp year courses by open university system but third year is not given thru open university system.

yes, you can file 226 writ in a high court once you complete your two years law degree called general law degree, if by that time  what rule prevails at bar council is anybody's conjecture. now no need to worry on it, but just do 2 year general law degree after completion, you may think what to do, you are not sure of anything tomorrow by today prevailing conditions. Even otherwise you can work as law clerks to advocates and that will help you understand workings of law. you moght get engaged as law officer/assistant to company secretaries of secretarial departments, after all what you want is to improve your income this process helps in the first instance in companies. then probability is companies might ask you to instruct company lawyers due to your ability in laws. that shd be happier stance for you.

Now it is only open to you to do basic graduation or join tregular 5 year couse of law if not possble go by my earlier para suggestion.  regards

adv g balakrishnan

Peace (None)     26 August 2014

Thank you for your kind response but i dont think the matter is about whether to do llb through distance. I am pretty sure there is no way to do so. My question is about the eligibilty of a first degree ( defined as a basic degree to be achieved before persuing llb course) if such a degree was achieved through distance education programs.

Isaac Gabriel (Advocate)     26 August 2014

You are eligible to join llb.31st August is the last date for admission with penalty.Visit any law college at Bangalore or Andrapradesh,the rest you will understand.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     30 August 2014

For the present, a law degree so obtained is considered no eligible for enrolling one self as an advocate, but there are no restrictions to study.

Peace (None)     30 August 2014

thank you for the replies. So the writ based injunction is good for studies only, not for registering as an advocate. what is the point then. 

Isaac Gabriel (Advocate)     30 August 2014

I may advise u to 'make hay when the sun shines',   As stated by expert Kalai,'for the present' there is hurdle.But ,it may bring lawrels in future.Nothing wrong in acquiring law degree as it will have its own value.

Peace (None)     30 August 2014

thank you, isaac sir for your reply but I am not a graduate yet, i must finish this degree of b.com which will take another 2 years, so in 2016 I may be able to start 3 year LLB course. In any case, can I ask what benefits will i get from acquiring a law degree, if already there are too many lawyers in India. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register