LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

shambhu kumar (manager)     11 May 2015

Dispute with elder brother

my mother purchased a plot of land. during her life time, she partioned 50-50 between me and my elder brother and we enjoyed separate possession and she  died intestate. after her death, my brother sold the entire plot  saying that it is was purchased by my money and showed me a revenue stamped paper having thumb stamp of my mother.

inspited repeated request and having committed to give my share from his other property, he is not ready to give back my share of land.

pl advise me, how to get my share of land.

Learning

6 Replies

B.T. RAVI (LEGAL MANAGER)     11 May 2015

A. Whether the Partition deed was duly registered or not?

B. What were you doing at the time of sale of entire property?

C. Have you put a signature on Sale Deed which was executed by your brother?

D. Your brother don't have any right to sell your portion to third parties. Hence, you can question the same before the Court of law subject to sale happened without your notice.

cyberlawyer (barrister)     11 May 2015

You mean , your brother says that he purchased the land from your mother ? What does the revenue stamped paper state ?. Why didnt you make any attempts to partition the property by metes and bounds or atleast effect mutation in the revenue records.

Advocate Ravinder (Advocate/Attorney)     12 May 2015

Your brother cannot sell the entire plot, he can sell upto his share.  The signature of your mother obtained by him when she was alive will not be useful,

Ompal Aggarwal (Advocate)     12 May 2015

If the plot was purchased by ur monther in her name n she died intestate,in that case her legal heirs have equal right on that property n ur brother cannot sell it.

advocate nitin kumar (lawyer)     12 May 2015

first of all no matter who gave the money for the purchase of land,,,, the land belongs to the person in whose name it is registered.

second thing if the land was in your mother's name and she died intestate then legally the land belongs to the surviving sons in equal proprtions. (if unmarried sisters are not there)

now if your brother claims that the whole land belongs to him, then he is wrong.

and he sold the land to third party then the sale is void. how can you sale a piece of land to third party which is not registered in your name ??

now you can file a suit in the court against your brother and the third party to whom the land has been sold.....as result of that the sale done to third party will be null and void and you will get the property divided into two equal parts under the Indian Succession Act.

consult a lawyer expert in the property caes for better disposal of your problem. and the case might stretch a bit so have patience.

hope that helped.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     14 May 2015

You have a legitimate share in the intestate property of your mother hence the next option is to file a partition suit with an application to declare the sale deed executed by your brother without your consent insofar as your share in the property is concerned. You may consult alocal lawyer and proceed accordingly as per his further advise. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register