Tenant vacated but not giving the keys

Hello. My tenant was not giving rent on time so I asked him to vacate. Instead he send me a notice from the lawyer that I have to pay him 35k for repairs and making false claim that I had promised to reduced the rent by 3k. Since he didn't pay his monthly rent regularly he has exhausted his security deposit but by hook or crook he has made some calculations and demanding back the security deposit. Now he has shifted to another place but not handing over my apartment keys. It's been almost a month now. Shall I break in and change the lock of my apartment or any due process has to be followed? Please guide and help.

You cannot just break in the flat, without replying to the legal notice and terminating the lease agreement. You should give a befitting reply to the legal notice received by you stating that you are not liable to pay any amount as demanded through the frivolous legal notice issued to you as nothing remained due. you should also ask the attendant to return back the keys to you within 7 days of receiving legal notice, failing which you would be constrained to break open the lock and/or file police complaint against him.

For any other queries feel free to contact me at isidjain1@gmail.com

Thank You very much for your advice. I will try to get in touch with you.



Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  


  Search Forum



Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query
Muslim Personal Law     |    x