LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

apps (merchandiser)     23 July 2009

daughters right in fathers property/income

I am a single working woman , what rights do i have to claim my father' property or atleast the right for getting him fulfill his responsibilities towards our education and marriages ?

Learning

5 Replies

A V Vishal (Advocate)     23 July 2009

Apps

You have not given complete details, whether the property is self acquired of your father or ansectral. With respect to the rights of education and marriage, yes, you have rights to claim it from your father and your father has a responsibility and duty of fulfilling those obligations.

Kiran Kumar (Lawyer)     23 July 2009

well after the amendment of Hindu Succession Act in 2005 u ve got equal share in the property of ur father.

as far as other moral obligations are concerned u can have access to S.20 of Hindu Adoptions and Maintenance Act, 1955, as follows:

20. Maintenance of children and aged parents.- (1) Subject to the provisions of this section a Hindu is bound, during his or her lifetime, to maintain his or her legitimate or illegitimate children and his or her aged or inform parents.

(2) A legitimate or illegitimate child may claim maintenance from his or her father or mother so long as the child is a minor.

(3) The obligation of a person to maintain his or her aged or infirm parent or a daughter who is unmarried extends in so far as the parent or the unmarried daughter, as the case may be, is unable to maintain himself or herself out of his or her own earnings or other property.

Explanation.- In this section "parent" includes a childless step-mother.

i think it is sufficient for ur knowledge.

Srini 2009 (asdasdasd)     26 July 2009

Is the married woman/seperated woman/divorced woman has the right on her father's ancestral property? If yes, when can she claim from her father? Can it be claimbed even when he is alive?

G. ARAVINTHAN (Legal Consultant / Solicitor)     26 July 2009

Law is different for ancestral property and selfacquired property.. so kindly give details...

in case of married daughter and un married daughters  too law is different

muneer (finace)     27 July 2009

sir,

i got married on 2002 . now my father is threatening to give me the property.

i am muslim women.

sir my fathers property is self acquired by him and we have two brothers and myself.

whether i will have any rights to property, and if i can claim what share i will get. sir how should i claim ? he is not interested in givening to me. what should i do sir? pl give me the reply.

thanking u,

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register