LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ratna Saha (Housewife)     15 November 2015

Daughter's right to ancestral property

My query is for an Ancestral  Property in West Bengal where Dayabhaga Law is followed. My Parental GrandFather had expired in 1996 leaving behind an undivided property which is in same status till date. My Late Grandfather has 4 Sons and 4 Daughters all of whom are married. After the recent ruling of the Supreme Court on 2nd November 2015 what would be the Inheritance Rights of the 4 Daughters on the Ancestral Property keeping in view the Dayabhaga Law. Also please confirm if the ruling is applicable for both Mitakshara and Dayabhaga Laws.

Learning

2 Replies

Anish Thakur 7018812737 (advocate)     15 November 2015

ruling is for both schools and in your case as your grand father has died in 1996 , the share of daughters lost and son will get equal share in property and if they all alive there all sons and daughters will also get equal share in that property and if any son dies after year 2005 the situation will remain the same . However this ruling of Supreme court are expected to be over ruled by some other upcoming full bench judgements of supreme court soon.

Pritam Gupta (Teacher)     16 November 2015

Do not agree with the above advocate.

Even before the Amendment Act of 2005, in West Bengal sons and daughters had equal share after the death of ther father as the state follows Dayabhaga law. So no difference here before and after amendment as far as share is concerned. Moreover ancestral property after succession is considered similar to self acquired under Dayabhaga law. So father can deprive anybody in such a property if he so wishes.

Section 6 of Hindu Succession Act (HSA), 1956 has no applicability in West Bengal as it is specifically written in the Act that it is for Mitakshara community only. So all brothers and sisters will have a share of 1/8 in your case.

But other Sections of HSA Act, 1956 which has applicability in West Bengal like Section 23 will have effect as directed by Supreme court.

So for daughters in West Bengal, they will get equal share as their brothers but they cannot enjoy such properties after their marriage or invoke partition until and unless succession starts after 9/9/05.

Also advice speaking to a good lawyer who is conversant with the local state laws. However I don't expect any change in opinion from what I have written.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register