Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Jaya   02 December 2015

Credit card fraud


In 2012 I received a message alert in my mobile reg a UBI credit card transaction of about Rs 70,000.  As this was a fraudulent transaction, I informed their call centre and blocked the card. As directed by them I e mailed them immediately and asked to block the transaction.  They said the merchant has not submitted the transaction and it is blocked.  As this was an Oman Air transaction as told by the bank, I checked up with my sister in law, an Oman air ex staff and she found out that it was done in Dar el Salam to purchase a ticket to US. I intimated this to UBI and checked with them after two days and they again confirmed the transaction is blocked.  After a month I got the bill with this transaction.  Spoke to the bank officers which was of no use, complained with Banking Ombudsman.  UBI submitted to them that the transaction was done under a password and hence it should be genuine.  I tried logging on to my credit card and then I was asked to create password.  Unfortunately I did not take out a print screen of this.  Ombudsman asked me to take up the matter legally as they do not have provision to appeal.  I filed with Consumer court and UBI did not even file their version after two years and the court issued an exparte judgement in my favour.

Then UBI filed an appeal saying that they did not get a chance to file their version and the appeal court asked for re-trial.  Now their version is repeating the same argument. I doubt that someone from the bank has created the password subsequently because I have never done an online transaction with my card.  What are my chances now and how do I challenge their version ?

 2 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     02 December 2015

The Bank is liable for cyber/IT frauds.

The BO decisions are maintained on RBI website.

The bank is liable to investigate and share the investigation reprt/result with you.

Contest thru our able lawyer.


Kapil Chandna (Lawyer at Supreme Court of India)     02 December 2015



Best is to issue a legal notice to the concerned parties and file a complaint for cheating against them.


Warm Regards

Kapil Chandna Advocate


Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

LCI Learning Hindu Laws

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query