LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Praveen Kumar Soni (Tech Arch)     17 June 2013

Credit card dispute


I own a Standard Chartered Bank Credit card which i wasnt using from oct 2012 - then suddenly in the month of Jan i recieved a SMS saying a transaction for 18 euros is made on your card, i immediately called up the customer care and requested them to stop this transaction, but as usual they said the systems are down and i need to call back, however i blocked my card immediately that very day. But then the following month i received the transaction billed - when i called up the customer care, they told me i will need to file a dispute form :(. I quickly submited the dispute for in both letter and mail to the bank- and the following week i saw the money reversed but on my primary card which i stopped using almost 2 yrs back. Then again in the month of April they charged my current card with interest - when i called them they said the previous reversal was only temporary and i have a balance of 30,000 to pay, when i told them about the dispute form i filled, they didnt have a clue of information, also while i was in the process of explaining all this to the bank i have been getting daily calls from the collection dept . However after a troubling 2 months and numerous customer calls i was able to explain to them that my transactions are under dispute and they need to stop troubling me. And after a lot of request they agreed to send a mail notification that this dispute would be resolved by 10 june -2013, today is 17 june and i havent heard back from the bank, if i walk to their branch they tell me they have no access to credit card records (yeah i agree standard chattered SUCKS !!) ... No that i am not able to get my case resolved, i wanted to move legally, can you please help me with my options here ? can i log a police complain.... also i am worried - that they might just come back after a few days saying we did the analysis and found these were legitimate transactions- my Q is how and where do i prove that the bank is so pathetic that even when a customer calls in and says cancel the card some illegal stuff has happened they allow the transaction to go through...

hence following is what i need help


1) What are my options?

2) Which court deals in such cases. ? and what documents will be needed ?



 4 Replies

Adv k . mahesh (advocate)     17 June 2013

first you have to send a mail that 7 days passed till date there is no communication from you end and you think that the transaction was proved and you are at safe side and say thanks to them for considering your dispute and solving the case

if there is no response then no problem and if there is response then you can take legal action after that 

the above wil show that they are just harassing you and you have taken every step to block that transction 

1 Like

Praveen Kumar Soni (Tech Arch)     17 June 2013

Hello Mr Mahesh,


Thanks for your response. Yes i sent them a mail today already-  asking for a response, i didnt say exactly as you mentioned "Thank you for considering my case....." , but i did mention that i would like to know and i have been waiting. I have given them time till 19th june 2013 again. But i am sure they will not respond. And if they dont then how do i move forward ?

Adv k . mahesh (advocate)     18 June 2013

It is a procedure to be followed 

if you have not mentioned in the mail no problem but you have given time to reply back and if they had not turned up keep quiet for further one week and in mean time consult a lawyer, explain the situation and send a legal notice through him 

Praveen Kumar Soni (Tech Arch)     18 June 2013

Hello Mr mahesh,

They responded with the standard template to my email yesterday - stating we are eager to help and will respond in 10 working days. I think i have had enough oh them. I am going to send them a legal notice in a day or two. Can i also log a Police Complaint ?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register