LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ajay   31 December 2016

What is the definition of dowry?

What is the actual meaning of dowry? Does cash money, gold chain, engagement ring given to groom during prayers and rituals that all happens during engagement function (lagoon) comes under dowry?

Learning

12 Replies

Sachin (N.A)     31 December 2016

Gifts during varius ceremonies during marriage are considered as Stridhan and not dowry and gifts made after marriage on various ceremonies and rituals are only gifts and not dowry.

Thats why the Supreme Court has ruled that demand for money and presents from parents of a married girl at the time of birth of her child or for other ceremonies, as is prevalent in society, may be deprecable but cannot be categorised as dowry to make it a punishable offence.

This means, if a daughter-in-law is being harassed for customary gifts by parents-in-law, then they could be booked under ordinary penal provisions but not under the tough anti-dowry laws providing stringent punishments.

(Guest)
Originally posted by : Ajay
What is the actual meaning of dowry? Does cash money, gold chain, engagement ring given to groom during prayers and rituals that all happens during engagement function (lagoon) comes under dowry?

You have jollywell taken dowry and shamelessly asking definition of dowry. This is against Law, it is a nonbailable, noncompoundable offence under 498a IPC.  If you have aorta of self-respect. return such to the girl/girls side (such also includes all gifts that you took in kind and cash at the time of marriage and also later from your wife or her parents or her first degree relativesand I am sure you are anticipating cases, apply for anticipatory bail for yourself and your kith and kin.  Go for mutual divorce and next time dont take a single pie or any gift from girl or her side.

Ajay   31 December 2016

What is the original question is:
Does the cash money, engagement ring and gold chain that is given during lagun-puja (engagement rituals performed by brahmin) is considered dowry or not?

Please answer what is asked.

Vivek H Bedarker (A)     31 December 2016

Gold chain and ring are definitely not dowry. Its token as per observed custom. Money is a tricky thing. Is is token or in lacs? Sometimes even objects like car are demanded. This is point 1. Next point is not so called definition of 'dowry' but harassment or attempted harassment of the bride/her family. If yes even for a single paise after marriage then it is dowry and other charges. See all laws have been made by simple application of mind. If you keep and live simple then no problem. But if you digress then law must take its own course.

Vivek H Bedarker (A)     01 January 2017

Anyone can claim anything. Learned judge also knows that. Be clear. State to judge that you have not harassed the bride/in laws for any cash or kind, and the objects you got were in accordance to token as per prevailing social custom. You too might have given some gifts (irrespective of their commercial value) to in laws. Witnesses will also be there. But if you took or got cash/other material objects then its tricky unless token or for pandit as stated.

P. Venu (Advocate)     01 January 2017

No meaningful suggestion is possible devoid of the context in which the issue has been raised!

Kishor Mehta (CEO)     01 January 2017

Sir, The definition of Dowry is stretched at the convenience of the parties to the legal suit. Opinion of the presiding officer may be overturned in Appeal. It will be foolhardy to arrive at a meaning just by reading the text of the Law. Ultimately it depends on the forceful arguments put up by the Advocate before the Presiding officer or at the stage of Appeal as the case may be. Good luck, Kishor Mehta

Ajay   02 January 2017

No dear friends. Taken nothing. Wants nothing. Only tension is that people are PEP (Politically Exposed Person) family.

I only want freedom. I earn great and already earned good assets in past 12 years. Freedom, liberty, individualism like what USA has is the correct thing.

PEP family means if you're OK with them, they will be OK with you. If you turn a bit against their way, they will ruin you. Already getting threats.

I wanted my freedom back, lets see what happens. After frightened with their threats, even I am wanting to adopt children from CARA of Indian govt.

Ajay   02 January 2017

Originally posted by : Helping Hand !

Originally posted by : Ajay

You have jollywell taken dowry and shamelessly asking definition of dowry. This is against Law, it is a nonbailable, noncompoundable offence under 498a IPC.  If you have aorta of self-respect. return such to the girl/girls side (such also includes all gifts that you took in kind and cash at the time of marriage and also later from your wife or her parents or her first degree relatives) and I am sure you are anticipating cases, apply for anticipatory bail for yourself and your kith and kin.  Go for mutual divorce and next time dont take a single pie or any gift from girl or her side.

No dear friends. Taken nothing. Wants nothing. Only tension is that people are PEP (Politically Exposed Person) family. I only want freedom. I earn great and already earned good assets in past 12 years. Freedom, liberty, individualism like what USA has is the correct thing. PEP family means if you're OK with them, they will be OK with you. If you turn a bit against their way, they will ruin you. Already getting threats. I wanted my freedom back, lets see what happens. After frightened with their threats, even I am wanting to adopt children from CARA of Indian govt.

whatnot   02 January 2017

If there exists trail of discussion and negotiation on anything that is given in cash or kind other than common good (meals, gifts to relatives, payment to marriage hall) can be construed as Dowry.

In this age of communication trails exists and hence can be used against when things gets soured.

As Trump says don't leave any recrd .

Ajay   02 January 2017

Love America. Love USA. Love liberty. Great Statue of Liberty!. India has Talibani system of marriage.

whatnot   02 January 2017

Blaming system is lack of empathy to traditions.

By virtue, Indian marriage is for life. All laws works around that theme. It is not system that lacks (most of cases) it is our understanding of living married life.

No school teaches it and it is experience.

Liberty is already casulaity across the planet. All glitters are not gold.

Indian Kanoon is worng . But not the law.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register