LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

V T GEORGE (MANAGER)     11 March 2012

Eviction from property

I am a business man running a shop in a town in kerala for 30 years. This shop is owned by my sister. we were partners before and now i am doing the business by myself for the last 15-18 years. We had a "family exchange deed" whereby this shop was agreed to be given to me and another brother will transfer his property to my sister as a consideration for it. That brother who was asked to do the transfer disagreed to it. I was unable to pay my sister even though i agreed to pay some cash within a stipulated time. Now this shop was sold by my sister to a third party. I am now asked to vacate. what are my rights?  

1. I do not have a tenancy agreement or anything in writing from my sister on this shop. I had a POA which was cancelled.

2. This was a permissive possession and my sister wrote to me that the permission is withdrawn and I should vacate this property to the new buyer.

3. The exchange deed document was not signed by my sister or by the brother who agreed to transfer the property to my sister. This was only signed by the other brothers.

4. A second meeting of the family was conducted in June 11 in which there was agreement to transfer this shop to me. Minutes of that meeting was signed by the husband of my sister. My sister was not present at that meeting nor the brother who agreed to transfer to my sister.

(I own a shop adjustant to this shop which is vacant). But since I was in possession of this shop for 30 years , i was advised that I get legal right to this property. Is that true ?.

What is my right and what Can I do ??? Will I get ownership of this shop any day.

Learning

2 Replies

Advocate M.Bhadra   11 March 2012

You are not a tenant in terms of Premises Tenancy Act, your are a mere licensee under your sister,adverse possession does not lie in the ancestral property.However you can file a suit for Injunction in a Civil Court as a licensee.

1 Like

V T GEORGE (MANAGER)     11 March 2012

Dear Advocate

I already receievd an temperory injunction. It is posted to 20th March for hearing.  My question is whether I have a claim in this property ? What should I do to get a claim to this property ? I wish to receive a FRANK opinion whether my claim will stand in court and what should I do  for it or is it a matter of time to vacate under court directions.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register