LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Arif Iqbal (Advocate)     08 August 2011

Whether court is arresting authority

1) An accused filed a petition before High Court u/s 438 CrPC for an alleged offence u/s 376 IPC. High Court granted interim bail till perusal of the case diary and directed the accused to appear before arresting authority within 10 days and in such an event the arresting authority shall release him on bail.

2) With that order, the accused appeared before Investigating Officer, who informed that the case has already been chargesheeted against the accused as absconder.

3) Then the accused appeared before the commiting Court, before expiry the 10 days fixed by the High Court and prayed for regular bail. The commiting Court refused to grant the relief of bail to the accused on following grounds:

(a) The offence is exclussively triable by Sessions Court only;

(b)  The case was chargesheeted by showing the accused as absconder;

(c) The order of the High Court was directed to the arresting authority only and the Court is not an arresting authority as such the Court is not bound by it;

My question before the learned members is, whether the order passed by the commiting Court by refusing to grant bail to the accused was legal. Please provide suitable precedents in respect of the grounds for rejection, especially on the ground: whether a Court is an arresting authority or not.

Learning

1 Replies

Saurabh..V (Law Consultant)     09 August 2011

@Author

Though I'm yet to graduate with a LLB degree still I've knowledge to support and answer your questions. See my answers below:

Ques.(a) The offence is exclussively triable by Sessions Court only;

Ans.(a) Yes. The Magistrate, which you might have approached is not correct. You shoud approach directly to Sessions Court just like in cases of AB.

Ques.(b) The case was chargesheeted by showing the accused as absconder;

And.(b) That was errant attitude of the Investigating Officer. When the interim was granted where was this officer? He must have known that there is a AB pending with high court still he went on to file "absconding" report to magistrate. There should be a departmental action sought against this erring officer for negligence.

Ques.(c) The order of the High Court was directed to the arresting authority only and the Court is not an arresting authority as such the Court is not bound by it;

Ans.(c) The language of S.439IPC says that the accused should be in custody when regular bail is granted. However, even if the person surrenders to the court by his/her physical presence then also it is assumed that the person is in custody because the Judge has the control over accused to either allow or reject his bail. Similarly the court can also be considered as arresting authority in your peculiar case. However it all depends on judge to judge if he interpret the statute like I did above.

There is a Delhi High Court judgment by Hon'ble Justice S. Murlidhar in the year 2009 for regular bail.

//peace

/Saurabh..V

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register