LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Hemant Agarwal (ha21@rediffmail.com Mumbai : 9820174108)     22 October 2010

Consumer Court Complaints NOW ONLY in Marathi

Another sickening APATHY & misuse of Law by the Law enforcers.    This is blatant violation of Right to Equality.   Failure of Common Sense and Constutitional rights.  Language is taking precedence over Law.

NOW, every state will have its own state language enforced in all legal matters.  So now if an Keralite comes to Maharashtra, then the Keralite better learn Marathi or quit the state. It is SADISTIC  way to promote state language, at the cost of public rights.  Complete APATHY towards litigants, to suppress public interests.   Another example of indirect official DICTATORSHIP, in a democracy. (sic....sic....sic....sic....)

FURTHER NOW the day is not very far when :
a)  All licences and permits and identity cards and name plates will only be in Marathi
b)  All signatures will only be in Marathi
c)  Boy friends will have only Marathi Girl Friends  AND all marriages will take place ONLY between  maharashtrians, in the state.
d)  Everybody will have to speak / talk / hear only in Marathi
e)  Prayers in Temples,  Churches, Mosques will only be in Marathi
f)  Schools and Colleges will teach only in Marathi
g)  Hindi & English languages will be taught only in Marathi (devanagri)
h)  Only Marathi food will be eaten.  ONLY Marathi movies will screened.
i)  ALL Television channels will be allowed only Marathi language

FUNNY INDIAN LAW.

"If Stupidity were a religion, there might be some hope for a single religion to triumph in this world"

Keep Smiling .... Hemant Agarwal

Consumer Court Complaints   NOW ONLY   in Marathi
(Times of India,  Mumbai Edition, 22nd October, 2010,  page no. 11)

Mumbai: If you are an aggrieved consumer seeking justice, get ready to take a crash course in Marathi. In the last few days several consumer forums across the city have been asking litigants and lawyers to file complaints only in Marathi. This diktat is result of a circular dated September 16 that held, “As the language of the District Consumer Forum is Marathi, the complaint and reply version is expected to be in Marathi.” The Maharashtra state consumer disputes redressal commission stated that these instructions have been issued under Section 24-B of the Consumer Protection Act, 1986, to maintain a uniform procedure throughout district forums in Maharashtra.

But this change has not gone down well with both lawyers and litigants. A complainant who came to the consumer forum at Parel on Thursday was unaware of the recent changes and asked to return with fresh documents. “This is going to be very inconvenient for us as we are from Chennai and settled here only a decade ago,” he said.

Advocate J M Baphna and Anand Patwardhan of The Consumer Courts Advocates’ Association have voiced their opinion against the diktat. “The very objective of the act which is the right to redressal, right to be heard and right to choose will be defeated,” Patwardhan said.

According to consumer activist, Jehangir Gai, the Consumer Protection Act is a central legislation, the objective of which is to ensure that consumers get speedy and cost-effective justice. “The consumer must, therefore, have the “right to choose” and file a complaint in the language of his choice. Increase in cost will result frustrating the objective of making the CPA cost effective and inexpensive. The cost of translation is high and will be a burden on the consumer,” he said.

Learning

15 Replies

Rekha..... ( Practicing lawyer(B.Com LL.M in Business law ))     22 October 2010

wowwwww I like this "Consumer Court Complaints   NOW ONLY   in Marathi". I m in favour of this

Rekha..... ( Practicing lawyer(B.Com LL.M in Business law ))     22 October 2010

khupach changla Vichar aahe ha .. Mala avadla.

1 Like

rajiv (student)     22 October 2010

since this rule is appliied by court itsown so why should we raise any objection. secondary even if hindi is permitted, 99% people will file their case via a lawyer and it is the lawyers right to file case in either hindi/english/marathi. no consumer either gujrati or keralite or tamil will file his case by tamil or malayalam then why not in particular states local language i.e.marathi 

Deepak Parmar (Accounts Manager)     23 October 2010

I agree, that the each state should use its own language, but why the it has started now.

Adv Archana Deshmukh (Practicing Advocate)     23 October 2010

Ho na Rekha, consumer forum chi complaint aani reply marathi tun asave asa compulsory kele aahe, good na :). Mala vatata pratyek state madhe tya state cha language madhech consumer cortatle matters chaltat, mag maharashtrat ka nako?

Rekha..... ( Practicing lawyer(B.Com LL.M in Business law ))     23 October 2010

Respected Archanaji yes tyat khot kahich nahi. Reglional languages na encouragement dyalach pahije. Pan koinich ka aapla reaction nahi det ya news la?

Hi goshta navi nahi Rekha, consumer forum madhe marathitun kamkaj aadhi pasunach chalte aahe, pan marathi kiva english asa option hota, pan marathi tun complaint ani reply nantar compulsory kela. Last year when i was filing a complaint in english, they asked me for a translation in marathi and told me that it is now mandatory to file complaint in marathi, so i did not file that complaint, redrafted it in marathi and then filed it, so filing in marathi made compulsory is also an old news.

Rekha..... ( Practicing lawyer(B.Com LL.M in Business law ))     23 October 2010

Thanks that u enlightened me Archanji. But jar as kahi Gujarat madhye ala ter amchi wat lagel...kidding

ha ha ha :) why? tula gujrat madhe rahun gujrathi yet nahi ka?

No I can draft in Gujarati but dont want to say anything here..... pan he chagla nahi mazyasathi ki mala problem hoto gujarati madhye draft kertanna... But i hv drafted guj criminal complaints also coz formates are available.

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     26 October 2010

The news which gave that Marathi is compulsory language in Fora, also mentioned that in Mumbai High Court Marathi is already compulsory. Is it so? Can someone enlighten me on this count?

Marathi people themselves do not understand Official Marathi. When communications from the Registrar of Co-op Societies or the Municipality comes in Marathi, I have seen Marathi speaking people going to others for translation of words.

MPS Ramani

Hemant Agarwal (ha21@rediffmail.com Mumbai : 9820174108)     27 October 2010

Atleast  Mumbai High Court does not accept any other language other than standard English.

HOWEVER:
Gross  under-confidence and incapable people  = FANATIC.

Only a fanatic will make a religion out of a language.  Language is meant  "ONLY"  for communication and some fanatic's  hallucinate that their language has some moral or cultural or religious values and live in their own private world at the cost and inconvienence of others.

ONLY a  "FANATIC"  can propogate the concept of  ghetto'ism.

Instead of upgrading themselves to a standard language, a Fanatic will feel comfortable encased only in his own language (which he himself is clearly unaware of).  OF course, there shall never be an answer as to why a particular language  is being forceably  IMPOSED  in a  Democratic and Federal India.

When India breaks like the former USSR,  there will be many more countries in former India  AND  this will primarily happen  because of such Fanatic's.

Keep Smiling .... Hemant Agarwal

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     31 October 2010

Article 350 of the Constitution of India says

" Every person shall be entitled to submit a representation for the redress of any grievance to any officer or authority of the Union or a State in any of the languages used in the Union or in the State, as the case may be."

Is not the recent order makling Marathi the only language to be used in Consumer Fora, particularly in Mumbai, a violation of this provision?

Further article 347 says

On a demand being made in that behalf the President may, if he is satisfied that a substantial proportion of the population of a State desire the use of any language spoken by them to be recognized by that State, direct that such language shall also be officially recognized throughout that State or any part thereof for such purpose as he may specify.

Marathi is not the language spoken by a majority of the population in Mumbai. It may only be the largest single majority. Is it not possible to, say, Hindi and Gujarati be officially recognised in Mumbai at least?

Article 348(1) (a) says

(a)   All proceedings in the Supreme Court and every High Court shall be in the English Language.

Under article 350B

(1) There shall be a Special Officer for linguistic minorities to be appointed by the President.

Who is the Special Officer in Mumbai or Maharashtra?   Many duties are enjoined on the Special Officer. If one knows who is the Special Officer, one can make a complaint.

I am very eager to know the response of the learned members of the Forum.

MPS Ramani

2 Like

Deepak Parmar (Accounts Manager)     01 November 2010

Dear Ramani,

Thanks for throwing light on this Issue, 

Regards

Deepak

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register