LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Anonymous...... (na)     25 December 2012

Conversion to muslim

I am married to a Hindu. Hindu marital laws are different from Muslim marriage laws. Polygamy is allowed in Islam. And this is a fundamental difference in both religios apart from other practices. Is conversion to Muslim allowed after a hindu marriage?


 6 Replies

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     25 December 2012

1. If this question before us is from a Muslim then before / at the time of marriage conversion from being Hindu to now a Muslim is allowed as per Law and not after marriage.

Flip above and if this question before us from a Hindu then he/she cannot for second mariage convert to Muslim. This is not allowed and until clear divorce decree from previous marriage he has no other remedy.

2. A Hindu cannot marry a Muslim under Hindu Laws and v/v is also true. in reference to query 

3. Hindu Laws such as HMA are applicable to two Hindus in reference to query.

1 Like

Nadeem Qureshi (Advocate/     25 December 2012

Dear Querist

there is no hard and fast rule in this regard, if a person belive in any religion at any time if he/she want to change his/her religion he/she can. it is fundamental right according to Indian Constitution.

Feel free to Call

1 Like

Anonymous...... (na)     25 December 2012

A Hindu married to a Hindu under Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 ( Act. No. XXV of 1955 ). Can a spouse choose to convert to Muslim against partner wish. Polygamy is not allowed in Hinduism and it is allowed under Muslim Act. In that case how is the conversion Valid after a Hindu marriage. There is a way out for a re-marriage inspite of Hindu Marriage Laws.

Shantanu Wavhal (Worker)     25 December 2012

IPC 494 - bigamy : 

as per the recommendation of law commission of india, report 227, 

bigamy is gonna be a cognizible offence.

Msk-need -nuetral- laws (self)     26 December 2012

Second marriage after coversion to islam post an hindhu marriage is void and bigamy. - SC ruling

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     01 January 2013

You cannot force your spouce to convert.  The spouce has option (i) to condone conversion and continue living togather (ii) to seek divorce.


You cannot convert and declared previous marriage as void by yourself.  The choice is not yours rather of the spouce.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register