LCI Learning
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More


Control of water by housing society.

Dear Sir,

We are staying in a cooperative housing society in Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra having 16 flats. There are two water tanks in the society (overhead and underground) for ensuring adequate supply of water to the residents. The underground tank is filled during supply of water from the municipal coorporation and then it is pumped to the overhead tank for supply to the flats. The committee members are controlling the supply of water from 07.00 am to 12.00pm during the day & from 08.00 pm to 10.00 pm in the evening without giving any intimation to the flats. This is being done under the guise of shortage of water from the corporation which has been found to be false as the other societies in our area do not have such problems. Further, it is found that the underground tank is having ample water which the committee is verbally stating is being saved in anticipation of shortage of supply from the corporation. Also, at other times they are giving the reason of inadequate amount which has been collected towards maintenance from the flats. Is this legal and how to proceed. Would appreciate if someone coulg guide.


 3 Replies

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     18 February 2018

Managing Committee of a CHS in Maharashtra is within its powers to control the supply of water. It is not only a question of availability or non-availability of water. Even if water is available in plenty, excessive consumption and wastage of water have to be prevented.  The Managing Committee can fix hours for supply of water.  However the Managing Committee cannot put unreasonable restrictions with or without mala fide intentions. If you suspect the intentions of the MC,  bring the matter for discussion at the next Annual General Meeting. Or if the problem is so acute and a large number of members feel so, you requisition an Extra-ordinary General Meeting to discuss the matter and pass appropriate resolution. If the situation is so grave, you can even pass a motion of no-confidence on the Managing Committee.

It appears to me that the hours fixed by the MC to open water supply are reasonable. You take action against the MC if they do something wrong. But otherwise co-operate with them in their thankless job to serve the society.

Kishor Mehta (CEO)     18 February 2018

Very aptly advised by Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech]. If you find that the water supply is not adequate, you have an option to request for an SJM of your Society (with the consent of 1/5th number of members) and move for a suitable resolution to alter the water supply timings.

Registerexperts (company registeration)     27 February 2018

It appears to me that the hours fixed by the MC to open water supply are reasonable.

Read more at:

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Related Threads