Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Dhritiman Sarma (student)     03 March 2023

Company forced me into an unpaid sabbatical and then asking for 1 month salary when i decide to quit

My company refused to pay my salary and accept my leave requests when I had to get surgery and put me on a forced sabbatical. I decided to quit without serving notice and company wants me to pay 1 month salary as per appointment letter. What do I do?

I do not want to serve the notice period due to mental stress and toxic work culture in that place. 
When I was in dire financial needs for my surgery, they put my salary on hold stating that I am giving excuses. I had provided proper documentation and proof but they didn't pay my salary. Nor did they accept my earned leaves and sick leaves. 
now they want me to pay 1 month salary since I am leaving without notice. 
is there anyway to contest this? 

Learning

3 Replies

Real Soul.... (LEGAL)     03 March 2023

Since your appointment letter is accepted by you and the terms therein shall be enforcebale. It is better you serve the notice period or pay them as agreed.

However you cans ettle your accounts and if they refsue to pay your dues you can drag them to labour court .

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     03 March 2023

You need to serve the notice period as per the letter of appointment. Facts posted suggest that you have already taken up the appointment. As such, the issue of the appointment letter is not at all a decisive factor. By accepting the terms offered and joining, the employment the contract has been completed.so follow contract terms & conditions.

P. Venu (Advocate)     03 March 2023

Yes, you need to serve the Notice period.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register