Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Manpreet (Team Leader)     27 March 2014

Christianity religion requirement

Hello,
I am a Sikh girl married to a christian(Catholic) Indian. Our marriage was registered under the "Special Marriages Act" and I did not convert my religion at the time of marriage. Now we are due to have a child and the confusion is about his/her religion. As per what I have heard is that the child automatically gets the religion as that of the father. However, My husband is insisting that the child cannot be a catholic unless he/she is baptized in the church. We cannot have a baptism performed because the Indian churches have a requirement that both the parents need to be baptized before the child could be baptized.

I would like to know if there is any legal requirement for having a baptism certificate to have the child called a christian. Do we have to prove that the child was baptized so that he has the caste mentioned as christian on his/her birth certificate?

I hope it was not very confusing.

Learning

4 Replies

Manpreet (Team Leader)     29 March 2014

Hello,
I am a Sikh girl married to a christian(Catholic) Indian. Our marriage was registered under the "Special Marriages Act" and I did not convert my religion at the time of marriage. Now we are due to have a child and the confusion is about his/her religion. As per what I have heard is that the child automatically gets the religion as that of the father. However, My husband is insisting that the child cannot be a catholic unless he/she is baptized in the church. We cannot have a baptism performed because the Indian churches have a requirement that both the parents need to be baptized before the child could be baptized.

I would like to know if there is any legal requirement for having a baptism certificate to have the child called a christian. Do we have to prove that the child was baptized so that he has the caste mentioned as christian on his/her birth certificate?

I hope it was not very confusing.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     05 April 2014

contact parson.

manasa (legal executive)     02 May 2014

hope baptism is a internal custom of christianity. Basing upon the baptisim he may called as catholic or something. But here your child gets christianity by his birth. whether he can be catholic or not.this is different isuue. he can be called as christian even without all these customs by his birth as his father is a christian. 

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     02 May 2014

Is it a legal query?

Why do not you meet a parson.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register