LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Jeevan Patil   20 February 2024

change of name

My client was told by BBC(Mumbai) concerned person to bring court order when he wants to change name of childs father on birth certificate wrongly put.
Facts : 1) child was born to 17 years old couple 2) Girls' parents were against marriage and had lodged complaint. During the period child was born to them.3) Now both family are in good terms wants to correct name of childs father (wrongly put in haste)
Q.1 Do the couple really need court order and of what?
Q.2. If not, how to proceed to change the name on Birth certificate.(presumably child was born in live & relationship).


 1 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     20 February 2024

The name of the child in the birth certificate cannot be changed in general until and unless there is an error on the side of the authorities concerned while registering the name given as per application.

In your circumstance you can get the name changed by a gazette publication and keep the copy along with the birth certificate to authenticate the change of name.

The suit for declaration of correct name will not be entertained by court even if you file one because the earlier name was not a wrong name.

Hence court will not entertain such frivolous cases.

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register