LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

madirakshi (stw)     03 November 2009

Change father's name in birth certificate

I am divorced and have sole custody of my two daughters. I have remarried and put my new husband's name in the father's name column in all school records. Will there be any problem in future when the birth certificate and school certificates dont match regarding father's name? Is there any way to rectify matters? My daughter is finishing 10th this year so I am very anxious.



 12 Replies

A V Vishal (Advocate)     03 November 2009

In case you wish to change your name, that also includes your father's/mother's name (!!) or even Surname you have to follow a very simple procedure.


Go to the State Government Press in the Capital City of your state.


Ask them for the form for change of name and obtain it.


Fill up the form and submit it (preferably then and there).


Pay the requisite Fees in cash. (Rs. 120/- in Maharashtra for routine (6-8 weeks for publication) and Rs. 620/- for urgent (2-3 weeks)).


The Press would publish the details of the change of your name (or father's/mother's name, or surname as be your case) and post you two copies of the Government Gazette or ask you to collect the same. The press would also let you know when they would publish the same.


Thereafter wherever you wish to submit your change of Name / Father's/mother's Name / Surname Proof, you can submit true copies of the relevant pages of the Gazette.

The procedure is adopted for the change in the date of birth and age and even for a change of religion.

madirakshi (stw)     03 November 2009


Thanks for your fast reply. Just one doubt: My daughters are minor, so can they initiate this procedure to change their father's name or should I do it as their legal guardian?




madirakshi (stw)     03 November 2009



I checked in the online website of my state govt printing press. The form for change of father's name mentions reason as 'due to adoption'. Does my husband have to adopt my daughters to show his name as father's name?


Specimen form:


I --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Son of/ Daughter of ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Qualification -------------------------------------- Designation -----------------------------------------

Henceforth be known as ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Son/Daughter of -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

due to adoption.


Take assistance of Lawyer.

Vikas Dharmendra (Consultant)     04 November 2009

Hi midrakshi..

Can you pur the link of  website of your state govt printing press....As you married to another person so he became the legal father of you childrens,...

Vikas Dharmendra (Consultant)     04 November 2009

Continue.........   Send me the link of Website fromo where you got the format.,,,  

Kamal Grover (Advocate High Court Chandigarh M:09814110005 email:adv.kamal.grover@gmail.com)     04 November 2009

Without the court order name of children father cannot be change coz to get adoption, both parents are required but if the wife has full rights so she can consent for adoption by her new husband but through court permission only.




1 Like

madirakshi (stw)     04 November 2009

Thanks very much Sir.

B.B.R.Goud. ( Faculty)     31 January 2012

hello... u need to take prior permission of the court of law, in case of change of date of birth, name, mother/father name and surname, if at all with special reasons for change is furnished. but to change father name in the scholl records, first father name has to be changed then only it is allowed to change in the school records that too with prior permission of the court of law only.

Shonee Kapoor (Legal Evangelist - TRIPAKSHA)     01 February 2012

One more dead thread revived.


Shonee Kapoor

yes yen (company secretary)     13 March 2012

u have said u are the  sole custodian.   is it with the consent of your 1st husband.   is the custody allowed by the court and not objected to by him.

further during guardianship one cannot play as they like.   whether son or daughter, they have every right to question such act OR EVEN sue for malafide action after they attain contractual stage or even after reasonable gap if they feel agitated.

father of a child has equal right in "adoption" activities.   this involves too many procedures.   if it becomes a legal problem you will have to drag your children inside the court campus in addition to school or college campus.

contact your first husband.  think and act judiciously.

Shonee Kapoor (Legal Evangelist - TRIPAKSHA)     19 March 2012

Boss the original querist seems to have moved on.


Shonee Kapoor

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register