LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ameer Badami (Doctor)     25 June 2010

capital gains tax on sale of gifted property

Sir, I will recieve a villa as a GIFT  from my mother which was constructed in 2001, If I register the GIFT DEED and wish to sell the house in 6 months to 1 year how much CAPITAL GAINS TAX  will I have to pay.

If I do not register the gift deed and sell it while the house is in my mother's name and then buy a flat in her name, which she will gift to me, how much capital gains tax will she have to pay?

please reply in detail as I am confused if I should register the gift deed or not?Thank You

Dr.A.A.Badami MD

Learning

2 Replies

Ravi Gurnani (Advocate)     26 June 2010

Sir,

Depending on place where the property is situated you will have to get the Gift deed registered on payment of stamp duty and registration charges. If in the place where the property is situate, Gift deeds are required to be registered then non registration of the same would be fatal to your rights.

Regarding the capital gains tax, in a case recently decided by the Income Tax Appellate Tribunal at Mumbai it was inter alia held that the date of acquisition of the property in the hands of the Donee will be the date of acquisition by the donor and hence the relevant provisions would apply.

Refer to (2009) 318 ITR ( AT ) ( MUMBAI ) ( SB )

DEPUTY COMMISSIOR OF INCOME TAX V/s MANJULA J SHAH.

Hope you will find this information helpful.

Ravi Gurnani

1 Like

Ameer Badami (Doctor)     26 June 2010

Dear Mr.Gurnani, Thank you very much for your prompt and professional reply.I read up the IT Vs.Manjula Shah case and it fits the question which I had asked you perfectly.Sir,I am staying in Bangalore City and i don't want to get entangled in courts with an IT Assesing Officer.please advise me.the judgement of the Manjula shah case pertains to Mumbai, will it also apply to Karnataka.

Question 1: If the GIFT DEED is made in June /July 2010 and I sell the villa after 3-6 months, what will be the Capital Gains Tax I will need to pay?the Property is worth Rs.2 crores at present market value>

Question 2., The villa was initially constructed by my mother in 2001, at a cost of Rs.50 lakhs.My mother is willing that the villa may be sold and another flat worth Rs.1.3 Crores be bought in her name.then she will gift the flat to me.The difference will be Rs.70 lakhs on which Capital gains will be paid which I am willing to pay.

Sir which option is better and safer for me, and in which I have to pay mimimum Capital gains?I am really sorry to bother you with the specifics but really appreciate you help.Thank You.

Dr.Badami

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register