Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

loyolagbabu (Assistant)     01 July 2016

Can we form co-operative / thrift society?

Dear Sir's,

Background

Me along with my friends joined as trainees in a PSU in 2007. As the stiped paid during training was less, 10 of us decided to form a group (similar to a Self Help Group), collected monthly contributions from everyone and lended the same within our group for a minimum interest. By this we saved a minimum sum at one side and got instant emergency loans on the other side. Over the years we have increased the contribution and the corpus also have increased. Till now everything runs on understanding and belief which is smooth even now. We wish to register it as closed-co-operative/thrift as the corpus has increased and do not wish to get into trouble in the later stage after decades. This includes for taxation purpose too. Related to this, I have my queries.

1) As we are already in PSU, can we form a closed thrift society/ co-operative.?

2) We do not make any illegal money nor lend to outsiders to make profit. All we need now is to continue our mutual co-operation legally.

Kindly guide. Thanks in advance.

Learning

3 Replies

adv.bharat @ PUNE (Lawyer)     02 July 2016

In which state you want to form society?

In maharashtra 10 members can form society. If public sector unit is ther then Maharashtra state cooperative society act 1960 is applicable.

loyolagbabu (Assistant)     06 July 2016

We wish to form in Tamil Nadu.

1) But being a public Sector employee can we form a closed society (thrift) which will closed to only 10 to 15 of us.

2) Purpose will be similar to other thrift society, saving and lending together. But will be restricted to the few in the group.

loyolagbabu (Assistant)     15 July 2016

Replying, to bring the topic back to the front page. Kindly give your reply.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register