LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Savitha (software)     28 December 2021

Can we file divorce without knowing husbands current address

Hi All,

I separate from husband 8yrs back, He is not signing the divorce paper. I am not aware of his current address. He is not ready to give it aswell. plz suggest how can i get Divorce from him.

Thanks in Advance 



 6 Replies

Isaac Gabriel (Advocate)     28 December 2021

Better consult lawyer with documents and full facts for filing divorce.

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     29 December 2021

In the absence of present address where you would get the court summons/ notice served. You will have to find out and mention his current address in the petition. 

Advocate Bhartesh goyal (advocate)     29 December 2021

Mention last known address of your husband in divorce petition and even if notice does not serve on that address then you have to seek permission from court to get published notice in newspaper.

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     29 December 2021

There are many ways to find the address after digitalization (AADHAR/PAN CARD/MOBILE) , contact a private detective.

Shashi Dhara   29 December 2021

U O5R20cpc take paper publication and lead evidence it ,don't think it may be ex parte or not ,if ex parte your husband can worry and also file Petition for maintenance.

richa taylor   29 December 2021

You are unable to apply for a divorce if your address is unknown. A divorce may be granted on the ground that the respondent has not been heard of as being alive for a period of seven years or more by those persons who would naturally have heard of it, had that party been alive. This is a legal presumption of death that is based on the English law of evidence. You can petition for divorce and then receive a court order for print publication and a divorce decree if you have the last known address.

or what else you can do is you are supposed to file a police report against your husband for abandoning you and leaving without alerting you of his whereabouts, as well as send a message through the television media and a public notice in the top newspapers. You may have to take steps to determine whether he is still in the nation or has left the country, and you must provide police with his photograph so that they can locate him. After that, you can file for divorce.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query