LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Manasa U (IT)     02 January 2023

Can i get my dowry and salary that my husband took during a divorce


I am separated from my husband for around 1.5 years, I was married at 2020 November and me and my parents spent around 10- 15 lacs for furniture and other gifts, other than that my jewellery is in a bank locker which he has the key for.My was also transferred to his account every month.

Now when we are trying to file for a divorce, he's refusing to give back my money except for some 5 lacs and also he claims that some of my jewellery is missing in the locker.

That too this he agrees to give only after the final proceedings are completed and divorce papers are signed.

Is there any way i can get back my dowry and money?.

I have a 2 year old for whom he's ready to give full custody. 


 5 Replies

kavksatyanarayana (subregistrar/supdt.(retired))     02 January 2023

You and your husband separated and the divorce case has to be filed.  Did consult any lawyer in the matter? After getting a divorce decree, you can claim maintenance for you and your child through court.

Real Soul.... (LEGAL)     03 January 2023

You should make a total account of articles and cash to be recovered; then  make a mutual settlement and if you do not reach settlement then the divorce court will rule . You can make claim before the court in full by giving details of your claim . You should not consent to waive off the maintenance charges for your son. Let him file the divorce or file mutually but if you initiated the divorce then your claims can lose weightht.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     05 January 2023

Once a complaint is made in woman cell he will bring the things there.


As far as dowryjewelry and furniture your Husband is legally bound to return to you. Also you should return the gifts given by your father in law 

Dr Vedula Gopinath advocate Arbitrator

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     10 January 2023

Agreeing wth above views, I will add that usurpation of strdhan amounts ot non-bailable crime under section 406/409 of the IPC.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register