LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Can dowry case be filed after 7 years of marriage?

Page no : 2

Manav Kalia (Arguing my own cases..)     15 October 2011

A quick question. I am arguing my own DV case and divorce case. In 498a can I apply for my own bail? Or do I need to go thru a lawyer?

Shonee Kapoor (Legal Evangelist - TRIPAKSHA)     15 October 2011

You can argue anything or any relief for your own self, including bail.


However, my take is don't mess with criminal cases yourself. Hire a specialist.


Regarding unexplained expenditure, my FIL had to pay through his nose to Income Tax Department on my Tax Evasion Petition.






Shonee Kapoor

2 Like

Manav Kalia (Arguing my own cases..)     16 October 2011

Thanks buddy @ shonee.

dr.pawan rajyan (member and secretory)     19 October 2011


Mirage Bro, Only advise to hire a good lawyer. Don't try to do other job, In this game professionals required. So you concentrate on your job or business. Rest you decide. If you are innocent, Don't worry. But always try to this your points in this forum & then discuss with your lawyer accordingly to get relief or justice in a stipulated time. Rest you are a better judge of your actions & decisions. Regards, Abhinatre Gupt.

Manav Kalia (Arguing my own cases..)     19 October 2011

Actually abhinav, I don't have any money, income or assets. Plus I have permanent brain damage from a stroke three years back. So I really have anything to lose here. Neither financially, nor in terms of any conviction regarding prison, as they can't put a person with brain damage in any kind of prison. I am very intelligent, very courageous and very sick. And according to me this way is the best way to go for me. Hope that makes sense..But thanks for your concerns.. :-)

Shonee Kapoor (Legal Evangelist - TRIPAKSHA)     20 October 2011

All the best Mirage,


Any help you need, I am an SMS or call away.




Shonee Kapoor

Manav Kalia (Arguing my own cases..)     20 October 2011

Thanks shonee buddy, you have already been a tremendous help. I would be truly lost without help and support from kind people like you. Thanks for all the help till now. I know you are always there for people like me. Thanks and God bless.... :-)

cm jain sir (ccc)     21 October 2011

Best wishes mirage.

Manav Kalia (Arguing my own cases..)     21 October 2011

Thank you @ cmjain

Kamal Grover (Advocate High Court Chandigarh M:09814110005     27 October 2011

Dear Author,

Dowry case (406) could not be lodged after 7 years.

but 498a (Harassment) is possible at any stage but not for dowry.


kamal grover


Shonee Kapoor (Legal Evangelist - TRIPAKSHA)     27 October 2011

WOW, Adv Kamal Grover,


Can you give some citation which says 406 is a dowry case.


Can you also give some citation which says 406 can not be filed after seven years.






Shonee Kapoor

Section 406 : It is a "Punishment for criminal breach of trust" . Also usually it is applied in investigation of stridhan recovery from the husband and his family. Punishment in this case is maximum of three years or with fine or Both. Also if case of cheating & fraud done by O.P., Then they too must be charged with same IPC law's. Only need witness/ Evidences to proof yourself right in front of law & magistrate with a stipulated period of time. So it's overall a case of material recoevery for either sides. Regard's, Abhinatre Gupt.

Shonee Kapoor (Legal Evangelist - TRIPAKSHA)     27 October 2011

We know that dear Secret,


Was just amazed that our Ld. Friend, Mr. Kamal Grover said it is section applicable for dowry.






Shonee Kapoor

Dr. Leo Rebello (President Litigants Welfare Forum)     05 December 2011

In some cases dowry demands continue beyond  7 years, because there are spiritually dead people. But it is a fact that 498-a, has also been misused by many women.  498-a has helped less, created more problems. It should be removed says the growing demand for its repeal. A professionall conducted national survey on this issue will be revealing.

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query