LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Dinesh   22 May 2022

As party-in-person (pip), can i represent my co-respondents in domestic violence (dv) case in delhi?

My wife has filed a DV case in Delhi against me (R1) and my parents (R2 and R3). We are planning to fight the case as PIPs. Is there any rule which allows me to represent my parents?

I am aware of Rule 37 in the ANDHRA PRADESH CRIMINAL RULES OF PRACTICE AND CIRCULAR ORDERS, 1990 (rule quoted below from page 14 of attached). Is there a similar rule for civil cases in Delhi? If so, can someone direct me to the rule/law?

Rule 37:

One of the accused may be permitted to represent the other: -
Criminal Courts may in cases where there are more accused than one, permit anyone of them to be authorized by any other to represent that other in any Criminal Proceeding; but the authorisation shall be in writing and shall contain the signature of the person giving it and shall be filled in Court.


 1 Replies

Mahi Manchanda   02 July 2022


The Supreme Court has ruled that except for petitioner in person, no other person than the advocates are permitted to argue on behalf of the other, uless permitted by the court under section 32 of the advocates act.

I hope this answers your question.

Have a good day!



Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query