IBC Code: Complete Overview and Drafting Workshop. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

raj   08 December 2020

Are rwas empowered to disconnect electricity backup?

I have disagreement with my RWA (registered under Karnataka) about the livein maid working in my house. The maid is employed since 2019 and continue to live with us. She was registered as per society guidelines and holds a valid society ID card. She was also included in society maintenance software database. Due to COVID society reframed the guidelines to approve domestic help. Email was sent "to register the live in maids working before the lockdown". There was no communication that maids registered before the lockdown are removed from the database and require permission from a sub-committee to work. So I did not act on the email. When the sub-committee found that livein maid is working in my flat they asked to pay the fine or electricity back up will be disconnected. I told them I have interpreted the email that only non-registered maids need registration. They refused to removed the Rs 500 fine and plan to cut the electricity backup in 5 days on non-payment. 

Are RWAs empowered to cut essential services for petty issues such as these even when maintenance charges are paid? 
Are MCs also empowered to ignore emails from society member to talk and cordially close such issues? They do not reply to email directly addressed to them.
What is the appropriate way to complaint about Management Committee on such actions if they are considered illegal?


 1 Replies

Nandini Warrier   13 January 2021

Good evening, Essential services are services provided by the government to the public for the betterment and welfare of the society at large. Essential services include water supply, public transport, or/and courier sources, among many others, mentioned in the Essential Services Maintenance Act(ESMA), 1968. RWAs are not empowered to cut electricity or water supply without any statutory authority backing them up, since electricity is considered one of the essential services. If RWA is acting without a statutory authority asking them to do so, you can approach the Registrar of societies and file a complaint. Hope this helped! Regards, Nandini

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query