LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

meethi viswanathan (housewife)     07 April 2013

Adopting relatives child


we are planning to adopt our cousin's newborn baby in India  under HAMA law with consent of both birth parents.
After adoption is complete, we would be applying for visa for our child from US consulate. As per US consulate, an adoption is valid only if we have the court order showing both as adoptive parents. So we also want to get a court order.
i have the following questions. can someone please clarify?

1. Do i need to approach court first for getting court order ?
2. Do i get the adoption deed signed from father and mother in a registrar office and get it registered and then file a petition for court order?

3. Do we need to apply for " Authority to adopt " ? I saw in previous posts, somebody was telling that we need to apply for authority first. Can you please confirm if this is needed?

4. What is the step by step procedure for this?

5. Do we need to approach CARA for such intra family adoption in India? I know that Indians have to follow CARA rules if they are adopting a child from orphanage. 



 1 Replies

prakharved (Medical officer)     11 June 2013



The court order can be got with the help of a good lawyer. But first you should get the adoption deed signed.


To get a detailed response on how to go about with the adoption process visit www. lawkonect.com


For legal queries like these you can get expert opinion from www.lawkonect.com 


Just post your query online in very simple words and you will get a detailed response to your question by seasoned lawyers as per your requirement.

You may also hire a lawyer through lawkonect to get all the court procedures completed. Pay only when the work is competed.



Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Related Threads