LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

rml   18 February 2016

Where to lodge any case

I am 30 years old woman going to apply for divorce.

My hometown city (maternal), city where I work/live now & city I am married are different. Where exactly can I file the divorce case????

BTW I want to apply the same in my hometown.

However many of advocates, I visted for the same is advising me that I can only apply divorce from the place where i got married or the place I am working/living now.

Please suggest!!

Learning

3 Replies

Augustine Chatterjee,New Delhi (Advocate & Solicitor at Law)     18 February 2016

The law for filing a divorce case permits women to file it at either of the three places amongst where the marriage was solemnised , where the parties last resided together or where the petitioner currently resides . Any of the three can be chosen by you

Augustine Chatterjee,New Delhi (Advocate & Solicitor at Law)     18 February 2016

The law for filing a divorce case permits women to file it at either of the three places amongst where the marriage was solemnised , where the parties last resided together or where the petitioner currently resides . Any of the three can be chosen by you

Adv.Yashwardhan Tiwari (Advocate IPR Associate )     19 February 2016

Dear,

Divorce are of two types and first you need to understand situation. If you both are ready then file at place of other party so that everything can be done in one go. But if your counter part is not ready for it than you should file where you are presently residing so that you can follow up the case by your own without depending on any other person.

Regards,

Adv.Yashwardhan

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register